Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Mailing list hosts?

I'm looking for a host for a prive mailing list for a non-profit. There will probably be 500 users and traffic will be fairly low-volume. Can someone recommend a hosting company?

A

Adam
Friday, June 20, 2003

If you want free, Yahoo is decent. Not great, mind you, but decent.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, June 20, 2003

The problem with Yahoo is that their web interface constantly shoves their advertising in your face which you have to click through to see the messages.  And I wouldn't trust their email list delivery because they had free POP3 accounts not long ago which they turned into a paid mode. So I'd expect that at some point the only free Yahoo mailing list option will be for web viewing.

Instead, look around at cheap web hosting sites. Many/most shared hosts, even the <$10/mo ones, have some kind of proprietary email list setup.

Bored Bystander
Friday, June 20, 2003

Or you could set up a MajorDomo on one.

What's the one Joel uses? It has all sorts of features that let the person that owns the mailing list track the messages.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 20, 2003

whatcounts.com

Joel Spolsky
Friday, June 20, 2003

I needed a similar service, and couldn't find anything at a reasonable price. I'm now in the process of moving my site to www.dr2.net, which costs only $20/year for hosting. They allow you to set up mailing lists for only $3/mo. It looks good so far.

Darren Collins
Sunday, June 22, 2003

Regarding whatcounts.com .
I do not know about you but don't you realy realy hate it when you go to a site and there is no indication on pricing whatsoever?
To me this clearl says "we are in the market for 5 figure and up deals only".
Would you bother to email for more info if you whare looking for a cheap place top host a tiny mailing list?  And yet Joel's response seems to indicate they actualy deal in this sort of thing. He should now. He is a customer after all.

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, June 23, 2003

"Would you bother to email for more info if you whare looking for a cheap place top host a tiny mailing list?"

whare -> were
top host -> to host

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, June 23, 2003

People give Joel a discount because he's good advertising.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home