Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Web+Client Server Development recommendations?

Hi,

I am starting a new project. I have been told to use .NET platform. I am in process of reading the thousands of pages of .NET material. But maybe someone can help me narrow down quickly?.

My application has to be both web based as well as client server, with preferably the same GUI.  Meaning, the application has to run in the web and a different executable on the desktop. Obviously, the major factor here is to reduce the amount of code that is rewritten.

Initial thought was to put the logic as COM objects and call this from both Visual basic forms as well as ASP. Another possible solution is to write an Active X control.  The application has to read from the Oracle database. When it is running on the desktop,probably ORacle Lite or some small database. When it is running on the web, it has to access the central oralce database.

Any thoughts on the kind of .NET architectures?

Student
Friday, June 20, 2003

You could use Lotus Domino 6, done right, your app only needs to be written once and will work on the web and on a client (Lotus Notes)....Then again, as a programmer I don't like Lotus Notes/Domino.  From a business perspective, it makes alot of sense though.

GiorgioG
Friday, June 20, 2003

Isn't that part of your assignment to figure it out on your own, Mr. Student?  Honestly, it's not a big decision.  Fat Client/Thin Client.  Big Deal.

Friday, June 20, 2003

Eh,

Give the kid a break.  If he really is a student, the only thing he has to rely on (without any experience) is Microsoft's marketing/commercials for .NET.  Lotus doesn't advertize their app/dev systems, neither does Borland, or Sun. 

The people here are presumed to have experience in these matters and he's just looking for leads.  If he would have asked for source code, that would be a different matter entirely.

GiorgioG
Friday, June 20, 2003

Giorgio, it's just " " being rude again, ignore it.

This is obviously a problem that's been solved before, there's nothing wrong with asking for help.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 20, 2003

- You want to put as much logic as possible in the business objects.

- You *could* go with .aspx and winforms

- Or you *could* go with winforms and remoting

It depends on the application and the user base.

Philo

Philo
Friday, June 20, 2003

A few things about .NET: COM and ActiveX are out, components and assemblies are in. While this might seem overwhelming, it makes your life much easier.

There is an inherent difference in the platforms that present a problem when building the same GUI for Web and Desktop apps. What works for one just won't translate well to the other.

I think you have the basic architecture correct, move your business logic and data access code into its own assembly. This will allow you to access it from either interface.

Then you need to map out the presentation layer for each UI. If designed right, they should share the same feel but be optimized for the specific interface.

Keep in mind that each interface needs to stand on its own and you should be ok.

Marc
Friday, June 20, 2003

Hi,

I know this problem has been solved before. I am looking for a pointers and not source code :-).

There was some application -  some project management software by AutoCAD which looked like a windows application deployed on the web. i also heard about citrix, but thats not feasible.

COM seems to be the way to go. But using COM, i have to rewrite the user interface, am i right?. The business logic can be same, but the interface needs to be rewritten.

I am looking for a way in which i dont have to write the interface all over again.

Student
Friday, June 20, 2003

don't they have some meta language you can write your forms in now, so it doesn't matter? or is that just for network based clients (phones,pocket pc's, browsers)

Daniel Shchyokin
Friday, June 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home