Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

WebObjects

What do you think of WebObjects (rapid Java web application development for Mac)?
I have never used it, don't know anything about it, have never used any rapid application development software.
They are starting to use WebObjects for some projects where I work.

The Real PC
Friday, June 20, 2003

Enterprise Objects Framework (EOF) is da bomb.  I don't know of anything that maps data between the object world and the relational world so elegantly, simply and so well.  WebObjects also provides a very nice MVC design pattern.  The tools very much lend themselves to this approach.

However, if you try to approach WO similarly to other development environments you've used, you're likely to cause yourself a lot of pain.  Take some time to internalize the WebObjects way of doing things before diving in.

The danger of learning an elegant, powerful environment like WebObjects, though, is you might start turning up your nose at people using lesser environments :).

Do you have more specific questions?

Jim Rankin
Friday, June 20, 2003

I've used it for a couple of projects and once you learn it, you can't beat it.

WO User
Friday, June 20, 2003

Actually, you can develop using WO under Windows, and deply it on any platform that supports Java.

WO User
Friday, June 20, 2003

There's a nice way to learn more about WebObjects, since Apple doesn't say much about it on there website.

Apple has made the sessions from last year's developers conference free online. You have to sign up for an Apple Developer Connection account at connect.apple.com. Once you're logged in, there's an ADC TV option, which lists all the sessions.

Session 701 is the WebObjects technical overview, which might be a better explanation of what it is and how it works.

On the WO list I'm subscribed to, a day or two ago a recent Program Manager from Microsoft posted there. Now he's consulting on his own, and his opinion was that WO was hands-down better than .NET, and that's what he uses for client projects.

Glenn
Friday, June 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home