Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Win 95 Image

I was wondering where you guys get your Windows 95 releases from (to make an image for VMWare).  Do you just happen to have the disks laying around or does a MS-Operating Systems subscription get you all of them?  Or do you just have to be lucky and find one at a used computer store?

McPickle
Friday, June 20, 2003

You don't get Win95 any more with MSDN, because it's not supported by Microsoft any more. Win95 has problems with new computers, too (for instance, you can't run Win95 on some Pentium 4s, including inside a VM on a machine with a Pentium 4).

It seems reasonable to me that people upgrade their OS at least every 8 years, so why are you bothering to support it when even the maker doesn't any more?

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, June 20, 2003

I believe we got our copy of Win95 OSR2 from MSDN saved from years past. Although VMWare throws half a fit with warning "hints", the image runs on *my* P4 just fine. I would bet you could still download the Win95 image from MSDN Subscriber Downloads. Or if you don't have MSDN, you could probably purchase a copy on ebay or half for $5.

dmooney
Friday, June 20, 2003

If you have an MSDN sub, you can ask for the "platform archive" disks. The 32 bit version I have here has Win95 on it (dated 2000)
The older one I have dating from 1998 has windows 3.xx and MSDOS 6.xx on it, as well but I think that no longer ships. I can find MSDOS on the subscriber download pages but can't find Win95 any more.

Peter Ibbotson
Friday, June 20, 2003

MS-DOS is actually still supported, mostly for embedded purposes.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, June 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home