Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Move to India to get a job?

An angle nobody's thought of yet - how about moving to India or Eastern Europe to get a job there?

If the jobs are all heading in that direction, why not relocate there?

Wouldn't some of the outsourcing firms appreciate an English speaker who knows the business to act as a go-between for them and the company in the first world paying their bills?

I guess some questions are:
Do IT people get paid enough to maintain the same lifestyle you're used to having in the first world?

How does life in the country compare to the first world? (e.g. hygiene, crime, public safety).

Will you need to learn another language?

How feasible is it to migrate to one of these countries anyway - on the other hand if you're an experienced programmer with a degree, they ought to let you in ...

I guess it comes down to a question of: Do you value more the place you live (and family, friends, etc.) and are hence willing to retrain in something else,

OR

Do you value your job more, and hence not worried about where you are doing it?

tech writer guy (UK)
Friday, June 20, 2003

In many countries it is much harder to get in. If you are replacing a worker in India, what do you bring that they need enough to outplace a native?  It is not the skillset, nor English as a language.  Both are found in large numbers in India.  As for knowing the business, that would be very industry specific.

If somebody does hire you, while you may get paid enough to live comfortably while there, someday you may want to come home.  Also,  you will be a stranger in a strange land, where you have the legal rights of an alien.  I would not want to be one in the US today, and I know some countries can be worse. 

I value my life, and my job.  At some point I may need to change careers, but leaving the country for it?  I may travel for the benefit of personal development and exploration, but because I cannot find work?  I don't think so.

BigRoy
Friday, June 20, 2003

i actually heard that the bigger companies that open up a branch in India were moving some experienced staff into their off shore branches - as a technology transfer idea.

(well the place i live in is Israel, so the difference between Israel and India might be less severe, once you get a substantial pay rise ;-)

(as you might have guessed they move some distgruntled bachelors , but the method works, sort of;

Michael Moser
Friday, June 20, 2003

If you are a competent techie things are NOT that bad yet.

However I'd say your time is better spent trying to move yourself into Project Management/Architecture roles more as I don't see those disappearing soon - there will always be a need for that onshore imho.

James Nicoll
Friday, June 20, 2003

Yes, you too can adopt a developer for less than the price of your morning double latte.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 20, 2003

have you been to either India or Eastern Europe (which I'm presuming you mean 'romania' vs. prague) ?  You would be have to be an idiot or insane to move from the UK to one of these countries just to continue writing software manuals.

old School
Friday, June 20, 2003

It is pretty impossible to say what salary you would need to keep the same standard of living because we don't know what you think important and what not.

There are actually sites that, based on the price of real estate, allow you to enter the salary you are earning in your present location and check what you need to earn in another location.

As a rough guess for Romania or India you can say that you would have a better standard of living for many things, and not be too pissed off over the things you don't have, if you are earning about 70% of your present salary. Unless you were relocated by the parent company (in which case you would probably be able to squeeze them for 130%) you would be earning about 20% of your present salary. I don't think you would be a very happy camper!

Stephen Jones
Friday, June 20, 2003

Consider the Caribbean.  In the more prosperous countries such as Cayman, Bahamas, Barbados, and Trinidad, the pay is high enough that you can afford a decent standard of living but low enough that virtually nobody is sending work to India or Romania to save money.  In fact, those islands are recipients of some offshore work from the US.

Assuming you are a British citizen, the legal barriers for you to work in those countries should be pretty low, given that they are Commonwealth nations.

T. Norman
Saturday, June 21, 2003

I didn't intend to refer to myself in the question.
It was meant to be hypothetical.

I am looking for a tech writing or trainer job, but I want to stay in the UK.

Weirdly enough, there was a job on Jobserve this morning wanting 10 years experience. All the other tech author jobs I've seen ask for 1-2 and a ridiculous amount of tools, but I doubt 10 years experience is that much better than the 5 years I have...

tech writer guy (UK)
Saturday, June 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home