Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

To be or not to be

From the Ars Digita link
http://michael.yoon.org/arsdigita

"There is not necessarily one truth; there may be many truths."

intersting article, byt why doesn't this guy have the guts to state that his version is the true one?

*Fuck* postmodernism, what is this sentence supposed to mean?
Truth is like 1 and 0, anything you say is either true or false.

Michael Moser
Friday, June 20, 2003

It means that a lot of the blame-laying is subjective finger-pointing and interpretation, and not something to settled by reference to objective criteria.

So?

Justin Johnson
Friday, June 20, 2003

ok,ok, but this guy is expressing his experience (all that he has got), so why does he feel the need to derate it by this 'there is no such thing as truth at all' clause?

Is the western world moving away from individiualism towards group think?

Michael Moser
Friday, June 20, 2003

No, he's simply acknowledging that he does not have all the facts.  He was not privy to every conversation and he wasn't involved in each and every decision.

Life is sloppy like that.

Steve Barbour
Friday, June 20, 2003

If he didn't have all the facts, he could have just said, "This my perception based on my experiences".  To say that it is one of many truths is just a bit of harmless rhetoric, but I guess it's rhetoric which pisses off some people.  There are areas where I think the "rational" either/or true/false philosophy falls apart, but that's not really one of them.

Andy
Friday, June 20, 2003

It wasn't (probably) meant to mean what you think it means. The "multiple truth" statements was used by Phil Greenspun in his book on web publishing to show that in life there rarely is an only, ultimate point of view on anything and what Phil was trying to show at that time was that web based publishing is superior to traditional publishing (books/magazines) because it allows capturing (via comments) experiences of other people on the subject(i.e. "multiple truths") as opposed to "one truth" available in traditional media (think book review in NYT vs. user reviews for the same book on Amazon.com)

Phil and Eve published their own, personal "truths" on the reasons of ArsDigita fall. Their versions puts the blame for the fall squarely on "VC mismanagement".

Yoon published his alternative "truth" in which he blames part of the failure on himself (and Phil and Eve). What he meant by mentioning the "multiple truth" was not that what he says is not true but acknowledge and point out that his version is different that other people's version because, well, because he's not Phil or Eve and he didn't saw exactly the same things and he didn't reach exactly the same conclusions.

I feel like explaining a joke someone didn't get the first time...

Krzysztof Kowalczyk
Saturday, June 21, 2003

> Truth is like 1 and 0, anything you say is either true or false.

That sentence is about 95% false ...
Never heard of fuzzy logic, or any other multi-valued logic, eh?

- Roland
Saturday, June 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home