Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Masters of Hype

There are a few companies that should be given the "Masters of Hype" award. :)

Some of these companies are Sun and Oracle.

They simply know how to create lots of media and people interest.

Microsoft doesn't do this as well. Borland - from this point of view, is a joke.

But Sun and Oracle obviously score an A on this subject.

There is a valuable lesson we, small companies, can take from Sun and Oracle. However, I'm not sure what that lesson is.

Of course, a small company doesn't have the resources of Sun and Oracle, but these guys obviously use a lot more than raw resources in their marketing.

What is their secret for generating hype?

John K.
Friday, June 20, 2003

Both Sun and Oracle have CEOs who are megalomaniacs obsessed with trying to destroy Microsoft first and getting their own houses in order, second.

ShotCaller
Friday, June 20, 2003

Sun and Oracle are fine, but Apple is the true master of hype.

Fred2000
Friday, June 20, 2003

Microsoft is not good at hype?

Ever heard of
OLE2
OCX
ACTIVEX
.NET

??????????????

Anywhow, how would you attract a huge crowd of developers/customers without hype?

Michael Moser
Friday, June 20, 2003

what i was trying to say is - once
you want to establish a *platform* (not just an application)
then hype is your only way of grabbing attention.

Michael Moser
Friday, June 20, 2003

I wouldn't say Sun has generated any hype in the last few years, and the last time Oracle tried, they got laughed at with their "Unbreakable" plan.

To me, the king of hype is Apple now. Just look at the headlines of Slashdot right now, thousands of folks drooling over a couple dozen words "accidentally" released by Apple.

Spam
Friday, June 20, 2003

I'm biased - you guys know I'm a heavy Microsoft user. However, I cut my RDBMS teeth on Oracle 7.3 and 8i before using SQL Server, and my impression of Oracle hype vs. Microsoft hype (in general) is that Microsoft is much better at backing up their hype with performance, while Oracle hype is often truly snake oil.

[my opinion only]

Philo

Philo
Friday, June 20, 2003

First off I'm old enough not to pledge allegiance to any company unlike you who obviously think the sun shines outside of MS's arse.

The original master of hype/vapourware is Mr. Gates himself - selling DOS to IBM before it was written.

Altruism does not exist in business - get a grip.

James Nicoll
Friday, June 20, 2003

You're not old enough then, James. The term "FUD" was invented to describe IBM's tactics before MS existed.
Philo

Philo
Friday, June 20, 2003

I've heard people criticize the Sun CEO here before -- now he's called a megalomaniac -- what's up with this guy?  Any stories to back up what you are saying?

programmer
Friday, June 20, 2003

Pfft, just read the news. McNealy's quotes in the press often sound like they'd be more at home in an X-Files script than in reality.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, June 20, 2003

I don't see Sun hyping anything?

Go have a beer and get laid and let Bill G worry about Ellison and McNealy.

James Nicoll
Friday, June 20, 2003

Philo,

Im currently doing Oracle stuff, and Im the first one to admit that Oracle has their fair share of bugs/problems.

The RDBMS however is good. It plain works. 8 years of working with it, I havent lost a byte of data - Im not happy with their other stuff though, like Devleoper and Reports and such.

Could you please elaborate on why you think Oracle is promoting snake oil? Their RDBMS performs pretty decently. So Im intrested in hearing what you consider snake oil.

Thanks,

Patrik
Friday, June 20, 2003

The Oracle DB kernel is very++ good. That is, I believe, the only product Oracle makes that can compete with anyone.

This article I wrote sums up my feelings about Oracle:
http://www.epinions.com/content_18895179396

Add to that the number of times I've seen Oracle sales push a solution, only to find out that after purchase it would take Oracle Consulting MORE $$$'s to actually make the solution work as promised (this was, for a while, their business model), and well...

Add in the latest sales fluffery - "Oracle is unbreakable" (well, it was for what, four hours?)

I *like* using SQL Server. It's a fun tool. The thought of working with Oracle makes me nauseous.

Philo

Philo
Friday, June 20, 2003

Philo,

Ok then, we are in agreement; the snake oil is more business practices than product quality of their DB.

Without reading your article today, I believe I've seen it earlier..."If you are reading this; dont buy Oracle".

Also in this case I agree with you. Choose the most cost effective solution that solves the problem at hand.

>The thought of working with Oracle makes me nauseous.

You need 3rd party tools to make Oracle friendly :)

Patrik
Friday, June 20, 2003

"You need 3rd party tools to make Oracle friendly :) "

If I didn't have TOAD, well......that would just be bad.

James seems a little..uh..preoccupied with MS,  but all large companies hype. Of course they don't call it hype. They call it "Marketing"

Remember the launch of Windows 95? Pure Hollywood.

Sun might not be able to throw a party like MS can, but they are masters of the poison pen, er press release.  All their whining about how MS is this big meanie is just pathetic. Can't compete? Just litigate!

And Oracle...geesh, I can't even look at Ellison without wanting to just walk up to him and slap him.

Mark Hoffman
Friday, June 20, 2003

> Microsoft doesn't do this as well.

Or perhaps Microsoft does it so well that you're not aware of them doing it.

> TOAD

is an awesome program.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 20, 2003

I am still amazed beyond belief that Oracle hasn't bought TOAD for too much money. Sometimes I think if it weren't for TOAD, Oracle would be competing with Jasmine for market share right now and losing...

[Or maybe Oracle did try to buy them, but were turned down...]

Philo

Philo
Friday, June 20, 2003

> I've heard people criticize the Sun CEO here before
> -- now he's called a megalomaniac -- what's up with this
> guy?  Any stories to back up what you are saying?

Only about a zillion, spread over the last twenty years. :-)

Here's a recent one:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.07/40mcnealy.html

A few choice quotes:

"McNealy spent the second half of the 1990s monomaniacally obsessed with everything having to do with Microsoft, from its monopoly-like practices to the general unreliability of the Windows operating system."

"Until recently, it was not uncommon for McNealy to squander more than half a speech taunting Bill Gates and company, ridiculing their technology as inferior and their tactics as unsavory."

"perhaps Sun's greatest weakness: an obstinate CEO whose most basic instincts spur him to fight rather than accommodate a new landscape."

Eric

Eric Lippert
Friday, June 20, 2003

When Oracle started Ellison was famed for advance selling features and releases that either weren't ready or didn't even exist.

The developers would find out what he'd sold and then try and build it.

Once one of them was puzzled as to how Larry managed to sell all this defective merchandise without complaints or law suits and asked him if anybody had ever asked for their money back.

"Nah, nobody," he said. "A few have asked for their data back, mind you."

Stephen Jones
Sunday, June 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home