Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Negotiation book

Hi Friends,

Could you recommend a practical book on negotition? I understand that this may be a little off topic here, but we all need to brush up our negotiation skill, don't we?

Thanks.

John
Thursday, June 19, 2003

"Get Paid What You're Worth"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312242549/qid=1056052859/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-0682626-7000639?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

It's a salary-negotiating book, instead of a general-purpose negotiating book, but most of the advice it gives could be applied to any kids of negotiating.

I found the book invaluable. (It helped me negotiate an initial salary up by an additional 16% )

Benji Smith
Thursday, June 19, 2003

Try "You Can Negotiate Anything" by Herb Cohen. It's an old book, and you can find it on Amazon.com for less than $10.

However, in my opinion, this book is worth it's weight in gold.

It's a book which tells you a lot about different styles of negotiation, and is full of real examples (the few made-up examples are clearly marked as such).

It's also a practical book - a book you can read, understand, and apply almost immediately.

John K.
Thursday, June 19, 2003

I'd second the Cohen rec though, the sad thing is that no matter what your negotiating skills they are nothing compared to your negotiating position.  If you are not afraid to walk away you will always do better.  Of course you usually need to be rich to lose this fear.

Erik Lickerman
Thursday, June 19, 2003

> I'd second the Cohen rec though, the sad thing is that
> no matter what your negotiating skills they are nothing
> compared to your negotiating position.

You are right, in a way. But Cohen tells you how to put yourself in a BETTER position (a more powerful one).

> If you are not afraid to walk away you will always do
> better.  Of course you usually need to be rich to lose this
> fear.

There are steps you can take to remove the fear and put yourself in a better position. Cohen details on these.

John K.
Thursday, June 19, 2003

I second the "Get Paid What You're Worth" book, have not read the Cohen book though.

Prakash S
Thursday, June 19, 2003

And don't forget the must read classic "Getting to Yes".  Easily on my top 10 list.

Phibian
Friday, June 20, 2003

Damn you. Now look at my amazon wishlist:

Total Items: 441 ( available used: 377 items)

I wish I didn't add every book that even sleightly interested me.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 20, 2003

For those who've reccomended Cohen's book, I noticed on Amazon that he has an "eagerly awaited" second book to be released in September. If you liked the first one (I've yet to read it but I picked it up tonight at B&N), it would probably be interesting to read his views with 20 years of additional experience.

--Josh

JWA
Friday, June 20, 2003

I would second "Geting to Yes".  No it's not about picking up women, but about the negotiation process.

It's a classic.

Claude Remillard
Friday, June 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home