Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Ironic "Things never change"

Joel wrote:

" The economy is cyclical and has been for hundreds of years. In fact the sure sign that things are about to change is when the conventional wisdom becomes, "things will never change."

Um... isn't that kind of self-referential?

<grin, duck & run>

Colin M Nicholls
Thursday, June 19, 2003

change is the only constant

tapiwa
Thursday, June 19, 2003

never say never

tapiwa
Thursday, June 19, 2003

All generalizations are false.

Devil's Advocate
Thursday, June 19, 2003

"I always tell a young man never to use the word 'never'."

Christopher Wells
Thursday, June 19, 2003

Joel: " The economy is cyclical and has been for hundreds of years. In fact the sure sign that things are about to change is when the conventional wisdom becomes, "things will never change."

Me: The economy is cyclical and has been for hundreds of years.  In fact the sure sign that things are the same now is when the conventional wisdom becomes, "Things are changing."

-Thomas

Thomas
Thursday, June 19, 2003

The economy is cyclical and has been for hundreds of years. In fact the sure sign that things are about to change is when your boss says there won't be any more changes.

Jeff MacDonald
Thursday, June 19, 2003

fools - that is exactly what he meant to say; that when people start saying things will never change, that's exactly when they do change!

Yanwoo
Thursday, June 19, 2003

Unless someone points out that as soon as someone says this things change.

Erik Lickerman
Thursday, June 19, 2003

The problem with Schroedinger's Cat (q.v.) is that by the time the you're done debating it to death, the odds are 100%, but by that time it may be of natural causes.

Sorry if that sentance is awkward, I was trying my best not actually talk about the poor kittens.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 19, 2003

A sure sign that there is intelligent life in the universe is that none has tried to contact us.
-- Calvin

tapiwa
Friday, June 20, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home