Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Clueless headhunters with good leads

I'm currently working, but expect my company to be kaput by the end of the year.  I've been perusing Monster.com for job leads and have noticed this 1 headhunter who, whilst being utterly clueless as to what s/he's talking about, seems to have a few good leads.  I've looked up the staffing company, they have more than 1 recruiter.  But the one for my particular specialty, in my town (embedded Linux, San Diego), quite frankly, strikes me as the bubble headed blond at a party who knows everybody but knows nothing.

So, in your honest opinions, would you shoot a resume to this person?  Or would you try and figure out the companies they're targeting and send a resume to them?

Cowardly lion
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

If you know everybody you don't need to know anything.

The only question is whether Glorai (good a name as any) is going to get a one-off placement fee or be pimping you out as part of her stable of gigolos. In the latter case it mihgt be worthwhile trying to contact the joans yourself.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, June 19, 2003

Many times these people are just looking to add to their contact list and blow smoke.

But what the heck, give it to her.

Steve
Thursday, June 19, 2003

Always try to find the company and approach them yourself. The recruiter does not represent your interests; she represents hers.

The recruiter might decide to put other candidates forward for the positions you like. If there are any aspects that couldbe negotiated better, the recruiter will not help you or even let you do that.  And if any problems arise, the recruiter will just replace you with someone else.

Thursday, June 19, 2003

Off topic, but I'd think Bubbles would be a better name for her.

Flamebait Sr.
Thursday, June 19, 2003

>>If you know everybody you don't need to know anything.

Great quote Stephen!  I'll have to remember that one...

Tim Lara
Thursday, June 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home