Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Summer slowdown

My company sells software products, and before that, we used to do custom software development.

I have always noticed a HUGE slowdown in the summer, in both activities.

While I understand most people in Europe have an almost one-month vacation in May or June, it seems that in the US the vacations are shorter.

I really don't know, because I live in East Europe.

What I'd like to know is the cause of this slowdown.

The slowdown happens in other activities, also: look at this forum, and at SlashDot. Few new posts, few new articles posted.

What is the cause of this slowdown?

Why do people buy less software in the summer?

Thank you!

Black
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

I don't remember having a one month vacation since leaving school.

Tuesday, June 17, 2003

In Australia the summer slowdown is coincident with the Christmas slowdown, with the result that its difficult to get significant decisions (including hiring) made from mid-December through till the end of January.

Spider
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Ok, so then what is the cause of the slowdown?

Black
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Several reasons. A major one in business is that as people take more of their holidays over the summer period, things that need to be coordinated grind to a halt since there is always one or the other party absent.
In addition to that on the net all those students that still make up a good deal of the traffic are now away from their dorms.

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

That and the fact that on a nice summers day, cafe's in knightsbridge, or picnic in Kensington park will always be more  appealing than more face time with the PC.

tapiwa
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

people are on vacation therefore people are not in the office

only people can work in the office but people are not in the office therefore

there is no work

na
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Here in Spain summer is horrible.

maybe the first is a "cultural" assumption about the hot temperature in general is not good for working.

a lot of offices changes the timetable in summer (sometimes june to september) to "intensive working day", usually from 8:00 to 15:00 hours, but you know: nobody works really the first nor the last ones.

You must add to these factor the hollidays, usually an entire month or 21 or 22 working days.
These is a big problem because the peoples need to be turn, then you and your other associates maybe not together during two/three months!

thus: the summer is used only for "maintaining the minimum.

anyway, this year is very bad in the software (and other related T.I.) industry.

... but the life is easy and nice in summer...

(and there in Spain we've invented the "siesta"  (sleeping after lunch... mmmmh...)

Guillermo
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Mmmmmmmmmmmm........Spain :)

shiggins
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

mmmm spain.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

I'd reply, but I'm to busy hunting for a job in Europe... 1 month vacations...

Oh, and Hmmmmmm Spain.... I agree.

Marc LaFleur
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

You'd have difficulty getting a work permit though Germany was trying out an H!B system to get Indian programmers, many of whom declined because of language problems and perceived racism. So it is possible you could get one of those visas intended for Inidans.

Now in Germany you should get seven weeks holiday a year, which you can split into two or three parts. Mind you the weather will be awful for much of that time.

The UK only has two week summer vacations so that would probably be out. Spain is nice - I lived there for fifteen years - but property prices appear to have doubled recently and salaries are half those in the States or less. If you could get a job that would allow you to pay the mortgage though there is a general opinion that Spain, Portugal, Italy or maybe the South of France are the best places in the world to live.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Most people with kids take off in summer simply because their kids have no school, that might be one of the reasons.

Prakash S
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

If I stare at the monitor for about an hour after lunch, pretending to be concentrated but actually doing nothing, does that count as 'siesta'?

Alexander Chalucov (www.alexlechuck.com)
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Stephen:  Portugal?

Demasiados crime e fedor!
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

i forgot to mention that now in Spain we have the looong evenings, having daylight  sun until 21:30 with a lot of bar terraces to drinking not-so-expensive drinks and "tapas" (fingerfood?)...

but sure, houses are very expendive and salaries maybe depreciating.

Guillermo
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Dear demasiados,
                            I like Portugal but it is a long time since I was there. More laid back than Spain; you could always tell the Spanish in Portugal because they were so loud.

There are few countries where you don't hear about increasing crime (you would think that the whole of humanity would have disappeared in one mega Act V of Hamlet long ago).

I have had friends who lived in Spain complain about Portugal; one in particular taught English in Cintra while his Basque girlfriend did an Erasmus year and complained bitterly about the unfriendliness of the inhabitants, but there has always been a certain amount of resentment towards the larger neighbour.

"fedor"? Dirtiness? Unfortunatley cleaniliness may be next to godliness but it is normally a long way away from excitement. I'm told that the cleanest places in the world are Singapore and Finland. I've made a mental note to avoid both of them.

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

More people vacationing ... that includes all the procurement folks I suppose.

James Nicoll
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home