Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Opera Browser, User Mode

A quick note for any usability concerned designers out there.

I just discovered the User Mode in Opera... It's got a lot of great features like Emulate Text browser, Disable Tables, Show Structural Elements (like <table> and <p> tags). Pretty neat for people developing websites for usability.

And, it lets you override the developer's styles by redefining tags like H1, change the background color, define the smallest font size, etc.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

I thought I'd second the opinion -- I use Opera's "User Mode" feature frequently. When you have "Debug with Outline" turned on, it shows you the borders of all your block elements like table cells, divs, etc. It's handy when writing dynamic reports, to make sure you've dotted your Ps and crossed your Qs. Also, hitting the "G" key to turn off graphics is a quick way to check that you have ALT tags, etc.

Troy King
Monday, June 16, 2003

This was always one of my fav features in Opera, especially for those "cool" sites, with the black background and the blue font - or whatever other "cool" combination you can imagine :)

Paulo Caetano
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Most of these features are available in Mozilla and kin with the Web Development bookmarklets.  (google for em).

Richard Ponton
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

I wondered about whether Mozilla had these.

Bookmarklets are still around? I wrote a little Google one to search Google, and it seems they've adopted and improved on it... I doubt they actually ever saw mine though.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home