Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

what do you think about this?

I stract this from an article in joelonsoftware, so, what do you think about this now, when msn messenger is the most important chat system??

Another extremely strong network effect is proprietary chat systems like ICQ or AOL Instant Messenger. If you want to chat with people, you have to go where they are, and ICQ and AOL have the most people by far. Chances are, your friends are using one of those services, not one of the smaller ones like MSN Instant Messenger. With all of Microsoft's muscle, money, and marketing skill, they are just not going to be able to break into auctions or instant messaging, because the network effects there are so strong.

Joel on software

sayro
Monday, June 16, 2003

ICQ's been around since the dark ages of the Internet. AOL was the world's #1 online service since the dark ages of the Internet (anyone remember Compuserve and Prodigy - their primary competition). Of course those are the largest IM services.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

I switched from ICQ to MSN Messenger when its kitchen sink got in the way of usability. Same exact thing happened with Winamp 3 and Media Player 9. I don't need no stinking Thinger.

Big B
Monday, June 16, 2003

That's probably why ICQ Lite exists. I like ICQ because of it's chat feature where you can see what someone is typing as they're typing. It's a fascinating way to communicate with someone. That's pretty much the only reason I use it, I have trillian for everything else.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

As far as what IM service I use - it's the one all my friends use, AIM.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

I have accounts on all 4, because I know people on all 4. Most of the Windows developers I know are on MSN, so my contact list is probably running about 75% MSN. Next highest is Yahoo, with AIM and ICQ a very, very distant 3rd and 4th.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, June 16, 2003

I started on ICQ, went to Yahoo Messenger, and now I mostly use AIM.  I use whatever network my friends are on, and just get used to the slight differences in the clients.

anon
Monday, June 16, 2003

I have used several IM programs, including ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger.

I think that Microsoft is the company that "got right" the messenger - simple, yet very functional interface.

However, unfortunately lots of people use different messengers around me, so I have to use Trillian.

Trillian is not a bad software, either, but it's a kitchen sink!

John K.
Monday, June 16, 2003

Clearly y'all have a different idea of what constitutes the dark age of the Internet...

(now ntalk and irc...)

Rodger Donaldson
Monday, June 16, 2003

I don't use any instant messager.  I don't want to be distracted from thinking about what I want to think about.  I also turn off any mail notification, and I only answer the phone if I feel like it.  I don't have an attitude, I want to concentrate so I can be productive.

As Joel said in http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000022.html  "Human task switches considered harmful"

XYZZY
Monday, June 16, 2003

started with ICQ (can you say wost UI ever?), bit the bullit and switched to Messenger exclusively. Appart from some initial complaining by some, all my contacts followed (though the majority still use multiple networks). No regrets.

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Speaking of ICQ's user interface, on a similar theme is their website: ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS WEBSITE. I'm just speaking of my own personal opinion, however they attempt to stick everything possible on the initial page, leading to page overload: Ctrl-F is necessary to find anything on that page.

Dennis Forbes
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

ICQ's original website (back when it was owned by Mirabilis) got the Webby Award for Worst Business Website one year, as I recall.

I'm actually surprised at how many articles I've seen lately on IM'ing in the business world.  I've been using IM'ing for a long time -- my ICQ number is 212600 -- but I still don't see any corporate IM'ing at any company I've worked for.

Brent P. Newhall
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Why not just use Odigo? http://www.odigo.org

If you use it you can connect to ICQ, AIM, _and_ MSN. I, however, don't use any of them anymore. Not much a fan unless I got bored and just wanted to talk to people, I guess.

Plutarck
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

We use messenger quite a lot internally now. Especialy in open plan offices it is far less disturbiung than phone calls for just a quick message or short answer info question.

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

I use Trillian (http://www.trillian.cc) because it lets me use ICQ and MSN (and Yahoo and AIM) all at the same time with one client.

Free and paid versions available. Well worth the small registration fee.

Tim Sullivan
Thursday, June 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home