Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Advertisement

Lately I've seen several ads in the newspaper placed by recent college graduates.  These ads advertise their services for programming.  Basically, I'm a recent graduate, here's what I know, call me.

I was wondering if anyone would hire someone this way?

AND

Has anyone tried this and been hired successfully?

Omnipresent
Monday, June 16, 2003

Are they large adds in the business section, or one of 10,000 classified adds?

--
ee

eclectic_echidna
Monday, June 16, 2003

They are classified ads in the "Employment Wanted" section.

Omnipresent
Monday, June 16, 2003

As a job hunter, it sounds like a waste of money, even if it was free.

As a job filler, I get hundreds of resumes from fax and e-mail.  Why again do I need to get more and read from the paper?

--
ee

eclectic_echidna
Monday, June 16, 2003

It might be better in the business section. They're gambling that someone out there - a small business owner without an HR infrastructure or existing programmers to help him interview, needs someone to do some programming and will run across his ad.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

Nobody hires consultants using want ads. And even fewer look for consultants advertising in the want ads.

One reality check: see if the same ad is run more than a couple of weeks. Generally, ads that produce keep running. Ads that don't produce are not kept running. My guess is that one person tried running an ad, and a few others saw the ad and got the same bright idea.

There is a market out there for freelance work, but contacts have to be developed on a personal level.

Bored Bystander
Monday, June 16, 2003

Only one way to find out if they work:  TRY!  The nay-sayers will always say "nay."

Jay
Monday, June 16, 2003

Neigh.

Philo
Monday, June 16, 2003

NIH!

We are the knights who say NIH!

(I'm busy looking for a shrubbery)

Sgt. Sausage
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home