Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

ask JoS:: New mobile telephone

Hi guys

As of this Saturday.

I managed to lose my trusted mobile telephone, a Nokia 6110.

I'd had this phone for a while, and I really liked it. It had been to hell and back. The main screen was cracked, and the numbers on the keypad fading..  My ,mates always used to to make fun of my, phone, and I would not be surprised if they had something to do with it's deisappearance.

Quick question.  Now that I am on the market for a new phone, has anyone here got any pointers.

Just to give an idea of what I am looking for.

1. Not a brick. - should fit snug in soul2. Can't stand those pesky tiny phones - end up hitting two keys at a time.
3. Camera not essential.
4. PDA features would be idea
5. Reliable
7. Durable

tapiwa
Monday, June 16, 2003

For reliable and durable it must be a Nokia.

I've told this story before but about eighteen months ago one of my classes decided to wind me up by hiding a mobile phone in a cupboard in class and then calling it from the mobiles in their pockets, making a point to cut the call whenever I got near the cupboard.

After about half-an-hour I twigged, opened the door with a flourish, threw the phone on the floor whereupon it glanced off somebody's ankle, nearly breaking it and hit the wall. I then jumped up and down on the phone half-a-dozen times or more before putting it in my pocket and taking it to the office to give to the Department Secretary. Just as I was handing it over, it rang!

Stephen Jones
Monday, June 16, 2003

If you liked the 6110, the 6310i (note the i) is the latest version, which I have. It's about perfect size (like you, I don't like the tiny phones), doesn't weigh too much, very long battery life (15+ days on standby), global reception (900/1800/1900 for US), large number/address book (500 it says, but I'm not there yet), etc, etc.

No colour screen or camera, but I just want a good reliable phone.

Pietro
Monday, June 16, 2003

Stephen, I'm not sure Nokia is that reliable and durable. I had 8210, which I used not that much and the phone never had a "touchdown". Anyway, after one year its display (well, almost) died. It probably worked using randomize function and after a while it really died.

After that I bought SonyErricson 68 for many reasons. The most important: It's not THE newest phone, it's software had gone through a few iterations and I could read about expiriences from other owners on the Internet.

Now I have it for six months and, when asked if I like it, I use to say, that they don't need to develop any new models: It's not too small, I don't want camera/MMS, it has quite good PDA-like functions (has very Outlook-like Contacts, Tasks, Calendar functions and syncs good with Outlook).

Think about T68 tapiwa, it's a bit older model and it should be not that expensive. There are a few T68 models: T68 (it has everything mentioned above plus GPRS and WAP1.1 - the cheapest), T68i (MMS-enabled, WAP2.0), and T68m (with camera).

Enjoy
Monday, June 16, 2003

Dear Enjoy,
                    In Saudi, which is a pretty discriminating market it is rare to see anything else. We had Listening exams last week and to stop interruptions and cheating we insisted on all mobile phones been handed in before the exam. There were nineteen Nokias, and nothing else, lying on the desk.

I've bought various phones in Sri Lanka, including Ericsons, Triums, Siemens and Nokias. The Nokias all work perfectly but most of the others were lucky to limp through a year.

A Nokia 3310, which has very few addional features at all, will sell for 30-40% more, new or second-hand in Lanka than the equivalent Siemens or Ericson with more features.

Stephen Jones
Monday, June 16, 2003

Re: Nokia 8210 - this particular phone is infamous for it's faults. Nokia has learned and improved - the new phones are nothing like it in that regard.

The Sony Ericsson P800 is supposed to have great PDA abilities (among a lot of other things).

SK
Monday, June 16, 2003

I just recently got a T68i.

I highly recommend it.

punter
Monday, June 16, 2003

I got a samsung something or other. Get one of them. Just because I did.

Geoff Bennett
Monday, June 16, 2003

My current cell phone is a Handspring Treo 300.  If you think you'll use PDA features, this is one of the best phones out there.  The keyboard is very functional, the phone interface works very well, especially for a lot of contacts, and it has a nice hand feel.  It's not the smallest phone, but it fits in my pocket fine, and you can find software for it to do everything from ring tone management to keeping track of auto expenses.

The Treo 270 is basically the same phone, but on the GSM/GPRS networks rather than Sprint CDMA.

Ben Combee
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Only had Nokia, sole reason being that everything else I tried had an inferior user interface (haven't tried many though).
My main complaints with Nokia are software stability (yes, nearly all models crash) and mechanical defects (very prone to physical screen connection issues and battery contact problems).

Just me (Sir to you)
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

I still have a 5110, it works, its a phone.

It doesn't have a colour display.
It doesn't have shiny chrome bluetooth connections
It doesn't burn money by browsing the net if I hit the wrong key in my pocket.
It doesn't predict my text and get it wrong.
It doesn't look like a crazily jewelled beetle
My fingers fit the buttons.

Its a phone, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Simon Lucy
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

I have a 33-something. Because it's small enough to fit in my smallest handbag[1] and the shop was giving them away free with new accounts.

And apart from that it makes and receives calls. I can't participate in "my phone has more stupid features than yours" competions, but these don't feature as largely in my life as they seem to in everyone elses.

[1] This is actually the problem with my last phone that I wanted to solve with the new one.[2]

[2] Of course, I've since lost that bag somewhere in the depths of my wardrobe...

Katie Lucas
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

You may want to check out Qtek 7070 (the MS smartphone, also known as Orange SPV) or the new Sony Ericsson T610. The former is a tad expensive (but is actually excellent with lots of features and just the right size), while the latter has less PDA features but is less expensive. Both have "huge" screens.

http://www.esato.com/phones/index.php?phone=74&cp=63

BC
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

I generally go by brands because individual phones go on and off the market too frequently.

Nokia phones haven't given me or anybody I cared about any troubles.

Motorola phones haven't given me or anybody I cared about any troubles, plus there's a familial tie there.  My Motorola flipphone has worked so well, I'm scared to replace it.

Of the two people I know who have owned a Samsung phone for an extended period of time, there's a 50% suckage rate.

Flamebait Sr.
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Mark that down to 16%. I have four more examples of 2+ year old Samsung phones that were very good to us. :)

Two of those four just got replaced, because we (my wife and I) wanted new features. I got the Sanyo 5300 and she got the Sanyo 8100.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

I've had my Samsung Rainbow SCH-A561 for three days now, and not had a single problem with it.

Geoff Bennett
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

As far as choices go, I have narrowed it down to four phones

PDA type::
sony-ericsson - p800
treo 270

vanilla phone::
nokia  - 6610
sony ericsson - T68i

Has anyone got experience with these, especially the Treo?

tapiwa
Thursday, June 19, 2003

I've spent some time with the P800 myself... it's a great phone, but way too big and ugly for my taste. YMMV.

As for a vanilla phone, I recommend the T610 (unless price is an issue). Have spent the last few days with it and must say it's an excellent phone. It will also be the best in its class for at least 4-6 months more... The T68i is also good, but is becoming a tad dated now (15+ months old). The reason I bought the T610 was that I wanted a phone that wouldn't be outdated too soon...

http://www.esato.com/phones/index.php?phone=74&cp=45&cp2=32

BC
Thursday, June 19, 2003

No experience with the Treo 270, but my wife has the Treo 180 (black and white display) and loves it, and she was a PDA-phobe.  I have a VisorPhone, and the 180 has the same advantages (linked to address book, easy to set up speed dial, ringer on/off switch, etc.) without the biggest disadvantages (my Visor Prism + VisorPhone is big and rather weighty, but I have big hands; and with the Treo you don't have to have the display so close to your cheek).

I will say that the 180 keypad is a tad bit small for my tastes.  And of course the prices are still rather high in my opinion.  But if I didn't use my eyemodule2 as well as the VisorPhone, I'd be tempted to switch to a Treo.

Kyralessa
Thursday, June 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home