Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What does this mean?

"Fog Creek Software is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce Diversity."

I'm not being sarcastic or anything - and I understand the "pc" of this statement - but isn't it intrinsically inaccurate?  I mean isn't the act of hiring someone, by it's very nature discriminatory?

Sure discriminating on things like race, religion etc would be considered uncool (is it still so rife in the US/NY that it's even necessary to say this?).  On the other hand some arbitary discrimination will always be used once you get down to the last few.... (Can you objectivly pick from the 10 "great" ones _without_ being somehow arbitary?)

Bruce Johnson
Monday, June 16, 2003

Discrimination is only a BAD WORD nowadays.

Nevermind that one has to discriminate between decisions dozens of times a day.

It's just bad. The word is bad. Anything to do with it.

Bad. Bad. Bad.

All bad.

Bad.

R C
Monday, June 16, 2003

"I'm not being sarcastic or anything - and I understand the "pc" of this statement - but isn't it intrinsically inaccurate?  I mean isn't the act of hiring someone, by it's very nature discriminatory?"

Note the phrase 'equal opportunity employer'. The words here are very important. Everybody has an equal opportunity to apply for a job. It doesn't promise any kind of equality of outcome.

(And yes, this verbage is pretty much required these days in the US.)

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, June 16, 2003

I think in this particular case, it goes beyond verbage.  And so it should.

B#
Monday, June 16, 2003

For me this means nothing more than beging standard disclaimer 1A, included to not get sued.

Some companies that claims to be "Equal oppotunity" has Affirmative Action programs in place. Hardly very equal. But then again, western society is very competetive so chances are somebody will always feel discriminated against.

Patrik
Monday, June 16, 2003

I think its intended to let applicants know that the only discrimination criteria used to determine who gets a job are the relevant ones and not what genitalia they posess, their particular shade of skin colour, the day of the week they like to stay in bed or their date of birth.

But liking someone or not is a reasonable discrimination.

Simon Lucy
Monday, June 16, 2003

"and support workforce diversity"

I couldn't give a rat's butt about workforce diversity. I care about a profitable business. If a diverse employee base makes me profitable, then so be it. On the other hand, if hiring a slew of homosexual Chinese females descended from Arabs and Native Americans is what makes my company operate at maximum revenue, then that is who I hire.

Mark Hoffman
Monday, June 16, 2003

Maybe Joel wants diversity in his company. Maybe he likes it. It's his f'king company...

Basil Brush
Monday, June 16, 2003

Mark Hoffman > brave words from a man who's apparently white.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

Mark H,

>> hiring a slew of homosexual Chinese females descended from Arabs and Native Americans

I think you're OK there. You've porked it up with at least three federally protected groups.

That'll keep those arrogant white males out, they don't deserve jobs anyway...

Good going! :-)

Bored Bystander
Monday, June 16, 2003

MarkTaw,

Brave words? Huh? Because I said that I would hire the best people for the job *irrelevant* of their race, or sex??

And you think that's BRAVE WORDS?

Wow...We've slipped to a whole new PC level.

Mark Hoffman
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Irrelevent or irrespective?

What it was, was either a poor attempt at humor or thinly veiled biggotry.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but it isn't funny.

B#
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Yeah B#, you nailed it. It was bigotry. I mean, who would of thought of hiring the right people for the job without considering skin color or sex. I mean...Geesh..what a racist,sexist outdated concept that is, huh?

Mark Hoffman
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

Mark,

I read your post differently (and probably the way you intended) than the others who bothered to chastise you.

I guess some people have nothing better to do than spend their time flashing around their honorary "PC Police" badges...

Guy Incognito
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Actually Basil Brush might be on the right lines - I can't speak for Joel but there is something incredibly dull about being surrounded by white, male, software engineers (as is the case here). I have previously worked in a very multi-cultural workplace and sitting and talking with all those people with completely different backgrounds was really interesting. Sometimes I think the only difference between my current co-workers is whether they prefer McDonalds or Burger King.

Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Joe might like diversity in the workplace but he sure believes in uniformity in the disclaimers in his job ads.

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

http://www.rent-a-negro.com/negroabout.html

tapiwa
Saturday, June 21, 2003

<a href="http://www.lencom.com/">information</a>

Sulatana
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

http://www.lencom.com/

Sulatana
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

*  Recent Topics