Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Seeking advice on an MP3 manager

I have 15GB of MP3 stored in my HD, and for some time now been searching for the ideal MP3 manager. Most of the songs I own have incomplete or wrong ID3 information, so typical MP3 managers fail to categorize the collection.
Here are some features I'd love to see in an MP3 manager:
* Multiple categories for each song. You know, sometimes a song belongs to the "Classic Rock", "R&B" and "Unplugged" categories at the same time (think 'Layla', unplugged version). This would make it easier to build automatic playlists.
* Built-in categories by artist. Audiogalaxy had this feature: it read your shared files directory and automatically categorized the songs based on the artist. They also had the multiple categories thing.
* Streaming audio, web-based interface. Most MP3 players struggle when a playlist is longer than 500 files. It's easier to do it from a web page.
* Web updates of ID3 tags, via CDDB. Have you ever tried to compile a CD called 'Songs of 1998' only to discover that half your songs have wrong dates?.
* XML interface for importing/exporting. Publishing playlists and CD listings would be a snap with this one.
* Automatic links to allmusic.com. They have very neat pages for almost any artist.

Maybe I'm asking for too much. I would be incredibly happy to find a manager with just the first two features...

Dario Vasconcelos
Sunday, June 15, 2003

Don't forget "random play actually plays all tracks in random order" (Winamp 2's major failing)

Philo

Philo
Monday, June 16, 2003

> Don't forget "random play actually plays all tracks in random order" (Winamp 2's major failing) <

That's why I use "Sort Tracks / By Random Order." I got a bunch of Pixies mp3's from my friend*, and all of a sudden my random play would play a certain Pixies song at least once an hour, and this is after reloading various mp3's different days.

It started to feel like top 40 radio. On the upside, I got to know that song fairly well, and it was a pretty good song.

I'm holding out for an mp3 player that allows you to assign ratings to songs and truly plays them randomly, but increases the odds of certain favorites (or certain new songs) of being played.

* - I don't listen to the Pixes, so the RIAA didn't lose any money in this transaciton. They should be glad that I had the opportunity to learn who the Pixies were at all. =)

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

I don't know where, but I read about an mp3 player that's shareware, but does a lot of what you ask for, including getting the ID3 tags of songs you've already got. If I run across it I'll definately post it here.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

which OS?

tapiwa
Monday, June 16, 2003

Windows Media Player has such 'rating'.
Funny, isn't it?

----
http://www.virtuoza.com

Boris Yankov
Monday, June 16, 2003

I reckon Musicmatch is pretty excellent. you need to pay $20 for the full shareware version but it's well worth it.

funnily enough you find it at www.musicmatch.com

gwyn
Monday, June 16, 2003

I think that was theone I was talkin about.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

tapiwa:
I think it's a sad think I assumed everyone would assume Windows. Do you know of any good MP3 managers for Linux:

For the rest of the guys:
Thanks. A while ago I explored what MusicMatch could do but wasn't satisfied at all. Are you sure it can do the multiple categories/automatic categorizing things?

Dario Vasconcelos
Monday, June 16, 2003

If it is windows, just wait for iTunes for windows. It's all that and a bag of potato chips

Stuka
Wednesday, June 18, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home