Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Suing Joel...

"In fact the sure sign that things are about to change is when the conventional wisdom becomes, "things will never change.""

I said that on here a few months ago. [grin]

Joel, you owe me dinner next time I'm in town...

Philo

Philo
Sunday, June 15, 2003

You said it under LGPL, not GPL.

Joel Spolsky
Sunday, June 15, 2003

Joel wrote:

"It's just bullshit. The economy is cyclical and has been for hundreds of years. In fact the sure sign that things are about to change is when the conventional wisdom becomes, "things will never change."

Isn't this contradictory?  Here Joel is saying that things will never change (about the economy being cyclical), and then he's lambasting others for saying the same thing about the economy's current state.

I'm no economist, but I do recall reading about the Austrian theory of economics--which basically holds that business cycles are unnatural, and are typically the result of our artificial manipulation of the monetary supply.  Isn't it feasible that the cyclical nature of the economy might itself change?  Especially with globalization, more and more money is not under the control of our economic purveyors, such as Mr. Greenspan's Federal Reserve. 

After all, I don't think Economists _really_ understand why we experience these cycles.  If they did, Fortune wouldn't have as much to write about. :)

smkr4
Sunday, June 15, 2003

(and anyway i only give credit to people with human names, not bakery ingredient names.)

Joel Spolsky
Sunday, June 15, 2003

Wouldn't 'Copyleft' be the more appropriate GNU creation?

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't listen too closely to that bearded fellow.

Spam
Monday, June 16, 2003

Bakery ingredients?

Philo is a very famous Jewish author responsible for Philonism:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12023a.htm

X. J. Scott
Monday, June 16, 2003

I did a google search on this. Apparently it's some sort of pastry. "Philo pastry" I think is some sort of dough. As in "wrap it in philo pastry."

What the origin of the name of the pastry is, I'm unsure.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

Speaking of radical farmers (cross-thread reference), Philo Taylor Farnsworth invented the boob tube.

>Philo was born in a log cabin, rode to high school on horseback and, without benefit of a university degree (indeed, at age 14), conceived the idea of electronic television--the moment of inspiration coming, according to legend, while he was tilling a potato field back and forth with a horse-drawn harrow and realized that an electron beam could scan images the same way, line by line, just as you read a book. To cap it off, he spent much of his adult life in a struggle with one of America's largest and most powerful corporations.

Hm, sounds a bit like Ferguson.

How come us farmers do so much? Is it getting up early that does it?

X. J. Scott
Monday, June 16, 2003

I mean, isn't Dave B. the farm dude who cloned Joel's message board even though he doesn't know anything about programming?

X. J. Scott
Monday, June 16, 2003

Or maybe it's all the horseback riding that does it. You got a horse Dave?

And Philo, are you a farmer as well?

X. J. Scott
Monday, June 16, 2003

It's "filo".

anon
Monday, June 16, 2003

That's how I make my stacks - FILO.

Great if you mix the dough with bananas and cover the stack in blackberry syrup. The first in to eat them is the last out.

X. J. Scott
Monday, June 16, 2003

Actually it's "phyllo"
"Filo" is, afaik, a type of personal organizer. (Or is that only "filofax"?)

I'm kinda startled that Joel's anti-pseudonym. I guess the conservatism comes with owning a business. [grin]

FWIW, I've been using "Philo" online since 1992, ever since I got in a silly pissing match on Compuserve with some other "Philip" over who was who. "Philo" is more of an identifier online for me than my real name is.

Why are people so very stuck on real names?

Philo

Philo
Monday, June 16, 2003

Phyllo's what they use to make baklava. Yum!

X. J. Scott
Monday, June 16, 2003

> Why are people so very stuck on real names?

I dunno. It's the Internet. In a world where domain names and AOL screen names and hotmail addresses are in limited supply, we have to come up with some sort of internet brand for ourselves.

I chose MarkTAW when I quit my band and had to think of something that was both descriptive of who I am and wasn't taken everywhere I looked. (T.A.W. are my initials). My old screen name was the name of my band and a number.

It sure beats the alternative... markwieczorek.com. Just try picking up a girl in a bar with that. "e-mail me, my address is markwieczorek@hotmail.com." At leasy my phone number is easy to remember.

In fact, I get a lot of messages from friends that say something like "Mark Wizo98w3u5naew45n98ayw46" becuase they've given up ever getting it right.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

Philo, get over it....

"Adam was the only man who, when he said a good thing, knew that nobody had said it before him. "
-- Matk Twain

:-]

tapiwa
Monday, June 16, 2003

Tapiwa - 'twas a wee joke. I just thought it interesting that
a) I had said fundamentally the same thing,
b) regarding the same subject,
c) on this board

Synchronicity, eh?

[However, it's also a fairly obvious thing to observe - that the best sign of recovery is when the pundits start saying there won't be one]

Philo

Philo
Monday, June 16, 2003

I've even seen it spelled Fillo dough, though I think that might be a brand name.

Keith Wright
Monday, June 16, 2003

This is great!!

Philo's name is so popular that we have an entire thread dedicated to its entomology and similarities...

I am not being negative, this really made my day.  Right now my boss thinks that I am crazy, because the office went from total silence to me laughing my@$$ off.  Now I just have to convince her that it was a bug that I just *fixed*, rather then "borrowing time" on the internet.

You guys are insane!  In a good way.

--
ee

eclectic_echidna
Monday, June 16, 2003

"Philo's name is so popular that we have an entire thread dedicated to its entomology and similarities..."

...and people ask my why I use a pseudonym...

Philo

Philo
Monday, June 16, 2003

Parts of this thread remind me strongly of an article about a person who committed suicide last fall -- he was an avid player of EverQuest (online RPG) who played a whole lot.

In the article, one of the experts asked about why the person may have killed himself said (paraphrasing) "he didn't have any human contact, and the people he talked to online, his so-called friends -- he didn't even know their real names!"

As if knowing someone's name is the defining factor of a relationship. :P

Steven C.
Monday, June 16, 2003

So it's pronounced "FILL - oh"? Shouldn't you ahve used two "l"s then? You're causing untold people to mentally mispronounce your alias.

Maybe the fact all the JoS pundits think you're a guy pretending to be a flakey crust means that, in actuality, you are a pastry pretending to be a programmer? ;)

Joe
http://www.joegrossberg.com

Joe Grossberg
Monday, June 16, 2003

No, actually I pronounce it with a long "i" - "Fie-lo"

And I believe there are members of the JoS community who consider me a flaky crust, name notwithstanding... [grin]

Philo

Philo
Monday, June 16, 2003

Philo,

You'll always be the Camel Guy to me.

Ged Byrne
Monday, June 16, 2003

smkr4:  No, it's not at all contradictory.  Philo/Joel are simply expressing a more common aphorism, to wit, "the only constant is change."

Sam Livingston-Gray
Monday, June 16, 2003

OTOH, I don't feel like I actually know any of you. Philo and Simon I'm beginning to see some trends personality wise, and Joel too, but it's not like anyone's going to interview me when you commit suicide and and I can say "he seemed like such a quiet forum poster, who knew?"

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

Philo

The smiley at the end of my post was meant to show that my post, like your initial one, was said in jest.

tapiwa
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home