Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Sun One Debuggin' Fun

I’m using Sun One Studio 4, update 1, Community edition.  Does anybody know why, whenever I try to debug, this #$%@ app locks up tight?  Anybody experience this?  It happens at work (Win 2K), at home (Win XP) & on my laptop (Win 2K).  It happens even if it’s just a ‘hello world’ program.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

anon
Saturday, June 14, 2003

I hate to be unhelpful, but this is probably caused by the fact that the Sun One IDE is based on the NetBeans/Forte codebase, which I've seen fatally fail in one way or another dozens of times since I first used an IDE in that lineage back in '99.  (Forget for now that it's a bloated, slow, poorly-conceived environment that tries to do just about everything but gets nothing right.)

Eclipse is a decent alternative (although it is halfway towards the same level of bloat as Forte and its kin), IntelliJ is excellent, as is JEdit with the appropriate set of plugins (which is what I've been running for about 18 months now).

Chas
Sunday, June 15, 2003

The problem is that "Sun One" is a complete IDE (even comes with the bugs included as we can see :-), but Eclipse and JEdit still need plugins that even if available may not work as well as a complete IDE out-of-the-box.
NetBeans (www.netbeans.org) might work better for J2EE development than Eclipse with the added plugins. Both are free so anyone interested can test them before deciding which to use.
Another one that is free is Oracle's JDeveloper.
If I had too pay for one, I probably would decide for IntelliJ, as it seems unbloated and featureful compared to JBuilder.
But overall, JBuilder is the best.

Back on the topic, try debugging other types of apps or downloading
another version of the JSDK and configuring it correctly, like adding the environment variables PATH and JAVA_HOME.

Good luck

Ioao
Sunday, June 15, 2003

Sun ONE == Netbeans, so if you're having troubles with it, it might be worth a try heading over to www.netbeans.org and seeing if the latest release there fixes your problems.

Andrew Reid
Sunday, June 15, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home