Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Oradata files

I am greenhorn when it comes to Oracle...

What are the files in this folder? what do *.DBF files contain? Is it ok to delete this folder if I have not been using oracle for a while?

oracleGreenhorn
Saturday, June 14, 2003

Greenhorn,

*DBF files are generally your oracle database files which contain your indexes and data... i don't suggest you delete those files :)

Oradata is generally the directory those files are placed in on a std install. (anyone, please feel free to correct, this is going on memory).

For advanced oracle help (i realise this question is not one of those, but this site is still very useful) look at http://asktom.oracle.com and search the archives.

ko
Saturday, June 14, 2003

If you dont plan on using your database again, you can safely delete this directory

As the earlier poster pointed out, this contains most, if not all, of your database files.. The data, the indices (indexes ?), control files etc

If you want to remove the database (to regain space or whatever), I'd suggest you use the universal installer to uninstall the database completely. That will regain the space and remove everything associated with the database.. One thing that they probably dont tell you in the manual is that for a complete uninstall, you need to run the installer, uninstall and then delete the registry entries for Oracle..

Hope this helps

deja vu
Sunday, June 15, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home