Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Removing an extra windows XP OS

I recently had many problems with my windows xp pro, could not even start it up and I tried every solution I found on the net. So I decided to reinstall the operating system. Now I have two operating systems.
At startup it gives me a choice of

WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL
WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

How do I go about removing the second one?. Which happens to be the old operating system.
Thanks in advance. 

Jermaine
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Right click on "My Computer". Choose Properties.

Look on the "Advanced" tab. You should see a "System and Recovery" section at the bottom, with a "Settings" button. Press that button.

Under the "System Startup" block on the next dialog, hit the "Edit" button to edit your boot.ini file. That's where XP is getting the extra OS from.

Chris Tavares
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Would this actually recover the hard disk space the old OS is taking up?

Jermaine
Thursday, June 12, 2003

First check that the first one, which is the default, wiil allow you to boot, by waiting for the timeout.

Then get rid of the start up screen. Go to My Computer/properties/advanced/startup and recovery/advanced and set the wait period to zero. You can also edit the file if you feel brave, but I see no reason to bother.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, June 12, 2003

The old OS is probably NOT taking up any space - if you reinstalled over it, all you've got is a stale listing in boot.ini.

If it does still have some files on the disk, you'll need to go in and delete them manually via windows explorer.

Chris Tavares
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Why are you saying the old OS is taking up space?

Do you have two WinNT folders? I thought you had just installed XP on top of itself. I suspect the second OS is a phantom OS.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, June 12, 2003

hhhmmm, ok I have only one WINNT folder, but I seemed to have a lost a whole gig of hard drive space.

Jermaine
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Also, programs that I once had dont longer execute. Ok, no big deal, I can re-install them. But when I do, I lose hard drive space. Despite the fact that I'm actually re-installing over the old files.
This is weird.

Jermaine
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Lost space is normally the system restore folder. It is set by default to take up to 12% of your HD space. If you need the space you can go to My Computer/Properties/ System Restore and turn it off or lose space.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Ok, for example, I've re-installed norton systemworks, into the same directory where it already existed. The logic would be that no more amount of space would be lost nor gained. Yet the re-installation took up an extra 60megs of space. (I used the same standard installation option)

Jermaine
Friday, June 13, 2003

Dear Jermaine,
                      I've just explained where your 60MB has gone. Every time you install new software a new system restore point is created. That is what is taking up those 60MB, and it will continue to do so until the maximum default 12% of hard disk space is reached.

Stephen Jones
Friday, June 13, 2003

Thanks Stephen, its clearer now, for a while,  I thought the pc had devloped worms or something :)

Jermaine
Friday, June 13, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home