Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

VS2003.Net Enterprise Architect

For a long time userstyle programmers of VC++ up to 6.0 could not use some useful free libraries like Blitz, Boost and so on. New compiler in VS2003.Net is much more friendly with ANSI and allows to deal with such libraries. Some ports to VS already can be found. For example Rani's Loki library port. Can somebody explain me how to work with Blitz library if i have downloaded distribution kit and VS itself. Is it necessary to wait port?

Stanislav Kraev
Thursday, June 12, 2003

In theory, you should be able to just take the straight blitz or loki libraries and use them as-is, no port required.

I say "in theory" just because I've never tried it myself. However, I have heard statements from the VC++ team saying that they used these two libraries in particular as tests to see if they got the compiler working properly. So I'm willing to bet they just work.

Chris Tavares
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Indeed it was as Chris Tavares said. No special port needed. At least some non-significant corrections. It's very pleasant that new .Net compiler became more ANSI friendly.

Stanislav Kraev
Sunday, June 15, 2003

And the irony is that, now that it's fixed, almost everybody I knew who complained loudly about it (myself included) over the last 5 years has now moved on and isn't using C++ any more.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, June 15, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home