Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Who Moved My Cheese?

(Credit where due:  MarkTAW mentioned this book in the "Procrastination = not always bad" thread.)

What do y'all think of "Who Moved My Cheese"?

I tried reading it, and it was so simplistic and poorly written that I couldn't finish it.  And it's a short book.  Ugh.

Brent P. Newhall
Thursday, June 12, 2003

It's nothing compared to my new book

"Unleash Your Inner Pussy: Lessons in Business from my Cats"

Again, that title was suggested by Plutarck, it's not my original.

Let's just rehash the humorous highlights of that thread.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I have a theory on these things.

Certain movies - the matrix, the lord of the rings, star wars, various romantic comedies are so familiar either due to them being part of a series, or them being so formulaic, that you feel safe watching them. That you'll be entertained at some minimal level and you're not really taking a chance by seeing this movie.

That's what I think brings on the success of books like Who Moved My Cheese, and anything Oprah recommends. It's a safe gift - doesn't mean much, easy to read, etc.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

That was one of the most stupid books I have ever read.  I borrowed it from a mate who said how great it was.  It was a fable that deserved three paragraphs.  I mean really, sometimes we have to be flexible. Thank you for your great wisdom.

Pete Something
Thursday, June 12, 2003

It's most useful as a catchphrase: "well, my situation changed dramatically and I got screwed, so I better adapt or die".

The book is written at a 3rd grade primer level. Kind of insulting to one's intelligence to have a book contain a staged Q&A at the end...

It does have an important life lesson, but embedded in a smarmy format.

Bored Bystander
Thursday, June 12, 2003

> a staged Q&A at the end

I never got to the end.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

In WMMC:

After the dramatic and gripping allegory involving the travails of the mouse whose cheese has been moved, surrogate human readers discuss amongst themselves the moving story of the starving mouse...

(I better stop, I'm about to hurl.)

Bored Bystander
Thursday, June 12, 2003

You know what, I think I might have gotten to that point and just blocked it out of my memory.

We could write our own allegory. It shouldn't be too hard. What kind of animal can you compare a programmer to?

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

"Who Moved My Soap? The CEO's Guide to Surviving in Prison," by Andy Borowitz, is probably a better read.

Hardware Guy
Thursday, June 12, 2003

That CEOs spend time at the office or on the airplane reading this kind of pandering drivel, claim to have learned something in the process, and expect others to do the same makes them look like incompetent, idiotic suckers.

Maybe there is some truth to be found in this book.

Steven E. Harris
Thursday, June 12, 2003

These are the kind of books - people from upper management will pass on to people and create a big hoopla about it - and these people bill $ 300 an hour.... sheesh....

Prakash S
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I've generally associated that book with clueless managers.

anon
Thursday, June 12, 2003

OK, so what is a good motivational book?

(A friend lent me the cheesy book a few years ago. All I remember is that it was drivel.)

mb
Thursday, June 12, 2003

That probably dependson what motivates you.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 13, 2003

There was a mildly amusing cartoon in which a flustered boss asked his secretary where his "Who Moved My Cheese" book was.

Julian
Friday, June 13, 2003

See, now that's motivational.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 13, 2003

I recommend "The Iliad" by Homer.  It's wierd how much those ancient Greeks knew about our modern corporations.

Erik Lickerman
Friday, June 13, 2003

I managed to read it cover to cover, standing in a library waiting for my wife. I'm glad I did it because now every time somebody ask me about that book, I can answer "yeah, I read it, tooks me about 20 minutes, it was pretty stupid."

I love to insult lesser minds.

Leonardo Herrera
Friday, June 13, 2003

-er I mean 'weird'. 

I make a pretentious recommendation like that.  You'd think I could spell.

Erik Lickerman
Friday, June 13, 2003

weird is wierd that way. I before E except after C and in the werd Wierd, err Weird.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 13, 2003

I recently read 'Jonathon Livingston Seagull' I put it in the same camp as 'Cheese' . A statement of the bleeding obvious.

Realist
Saturday, June 14, 2003

And Jonathan i one of the best selling books of all time.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, June 14, 2003

My wife's previous employer gave everyone a "Who Moved My Cheese" course and made them all read the book. Then, whenever the bosses made a random, arbitrary, pointless, or even downright stupid change to their systems, they just answered all criticism with "you're just upset because someone moved your cheese."

I can't remember, but did the book ever mention *why* the cheese kept moving? Some bosses seem to think after reading the book that it's their job to become the cheese-mover, to keep those pesky mice busy and to stop them from being lazy!

A friend once remarked that as soon as a company starts handing out these types of books, it's time to start looking for a new job.

Darren Collins
Sunday, June 15, 2003

They're lab rats. The scientists keep moving the cheese. Well, at least I know they're in some sort of lab maze.

I think they're not supposed to know why the cheese moves. That's not the point, the point is they have to adapt.

If they knew why the cheese moved, they'd be upper management.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home