Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Source Code to this board?

Wow just found this site!  Great articles.  I was wondering if the source code to this message board available?

Tim
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Take a look at Dave's web site: http://www.sswltd.com
He has done an excellent job!

Yaniv
Thursday, June 12, 2003

PHP / MySQL version:

http://www.johnsadventures.com/backend/DiscussionForum/APHPDiscussionForum.html

Alex Chernavsky
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the links guys!  I'm surprised Joel doesn't offer his source code.

Tim
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Thanks for the compliment Yaniv!

I have removed the "emoticons" as they were rather unpopular. :)  I also started to use CityDesk again for writing the articles.

I hope to finish Beta 2 of the ASP.NET version... soon. ;)

Dave B.
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Joel has said in previous messages that the current source code has a lot of stuff in it that's specific to Fog Creek's setup (server names, databases, etc.) and that cleaning it up to distribute it is not on his list of priorities.

Chris Tavares
Thursday, June 12, 2003

> I'm surprised Joel doesn't offer his source code.

What's surprising about that? He's put a lot of work into it.

Thursday, June 12, 2003

>> "What's surprising about that? He's put a lot of work into it."

Probably not as much as you would think.  It sounds like something that grew from a small beginning and as he recognized a need for change he or one his employees  implemented it.  The code is (guessing) functional but not clean.  I doubt he put more work in than the guys who clone the thing.

EOF
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I think there's a little more to this forum than meets the eye.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 13, 2003

For example, the code for the magic topic-zapping elves has a semi-sentient neural net combined with the first truly random CPU-based random number generator...

Philo

Philo
Friday, June 13, 2003

"Please. As I was saying, she stumbled upon a solution whereby nearly 99.9% of all test subjects accepted the program, as long as they were given a choice, even if they were only aware of the choice at a near unconscious level. While this answer functioned, it was obviously fundamentally flawed, thus creating the otherwise contradictory systemic anomaly, that if left unchecked might threaten the system itself. Ergo, those that refused the program, while a minority, if unchecked, would constitute an escalating probability of disaster."

The Architect
Friday, June 13, 2003

"I think there's a little more to this forum than meets the eye."

Such as?

!!b
Friday, June 13, 2003

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. Or at least this thread.

I can tell you one thing that isn't on this board... Smilies. =)

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 13, 2003

You mean you have admin rights to this forum?  Or that by sharing your knowledge Joel would delete the thread? 

As for Smilies - bah!

!!b
Friday, June 13, 2003

I have no admin rights to this forum, I don't really know anything about it that isn't public knowledge. I'm just kidding with you, though I do suspect Joel has some stuff baked in that we don't know about.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, June 14, 2003

Joel sent out an e-mail to his subscribers that gave some hints not only to his motivations for his UI decisions for the forum, but also some of the behind-the-scenes administration that they do here. He asked that it not be publicly re-published (I don't know whether he's taking requests for it off-line though).

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, June 15, 2003

His "creating communities..." article felt half like someone justifying some gut decisions or decisions based on something other than lengthy thought, and half like someone who actually did make intelligent, well thought out design decisions.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

hahahahahaha

joel san gria
Tuesday, June 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home