48, resulted in 117 IQ

barely above average ;( 

FullNameRequired
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

anyone else want to try?

http://www.testonfox.com

FullNameRequired
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I don't recall any certified IQ test ever having a time limit per question or a "test your memory" section...?

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I made 117 too!

Gunjan Sinha
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

58 ==> 132

If only I weren't reading JOS in the other window the whole time :-P

Devil's Advocate
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

56 correct or 129

I'm not convinced that this test is accurate...I'm just not that smart.

Maybe I'll try it with random answers, if only they did not force the timer to run out before going to the next question.

Billy Boy
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I'm pretty skeptical about the accuracy, too. I watched the show the other night, and there was a city in Virginia that averaged 138. No friggin' way.

I'm 24 and got 120 on the test.

Chris
Thursday, June 12, 2003

?
Thursday, June 12, 2003

That city in virginia probably only has one person with internet access, and he hacked it from an orbiting sattelite he put there himself.

They never said how many people took the test in that town, just how many lived there overall.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

49 Correct, 118 IQ.  Doesn't seem like a very reliable test to me.  tests english for a good part of it, etc.

Andrew Hurst
Thursday, June 12, 2003

The whole things seemed a little strange.  By no means am I a statistics expert, but should there really be a (roughly) linear relationship between the number of correct answers and the suggested IQ?

And why such a large selection of memory questions? And adding numbers? I'm also not a psychologist, but isn't there a different between quick thinking, and intelligence?

Spam
Thursday, June 12, 2003

49 = 128. Wife says all results for me must be discounted.

PJA
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Do they deduct points for watching Fox?

Hardware Guy
Thursday, June 12, 2003

They screwed this up to. They said that 50% of the poulation falls within 1 standard deviation, but it should really be 64%.

If I remember correctly, 1 standard deviation (90 - 110) will be 64% of the population, 2 standard deviations (80 - 120) will include 86% of the population, and 3 standard deviations will be 95% of the population.

So if you scored above 110 you did better than 82% of the population. If you scored above 120 you did better than 93% of the population. If you scored above 130 you did better than 97.5% of the population.

Look up Standard Deviation and Bell Curve for more information and an explanation as to how those numbers were decided on. DO NOT look up the book Bell Curve, I think it was a case for white superiority over blacks or something equally controversial.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

> Do they deduct points for watching Fox?

They should add points because of the dumbing effect it has while you're watching it. Perhaps that accounts for why the average IQ was outside of one standard deviation.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Hmm... 58 => 139
So apparently the questions' scores are weighted.
But this test must be true because it gives me a high score, whereas other tests give me lower scores!
Right?

Yves
Thursday, June 12, 2003

54 questions correct / 126 IQ.

Ten points were deducted because I entered Democrat on the front page.

I noticed that old trickster on there: circle is to square as sphere is to _____?  I answered "cube" -- reasoning that a sphere looks like a circle from all sides in the same way that a cube looks like a square from all sides.  But then I remembered that the question was really about volumes of rotation -- a circle, rotated around its diameter, forms a sphere; so a square, rotated around its center, forms a cylinder ... so I was probably penalised for that one.

Alyosha`
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Hey, I'm taking a psych class right now and we're just getting into intelligence, IQ, learning, memory, etc.  We have to take some of these IQ tests for class:

http://nicologic.free.fr/

Have fun!

Lauren B.
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Any IQ test that begins by asking your hair color, eye color, and political party deserves to be taken with a very large grain of salt.

Matt Christensen
Thursday, June 12, 2003

yhe test was nomalized, but without knowing 'against what' it would be hard to take it seriously.  the party affiliation and color questions referred to above were used on the show to answer questions like 'do dems or reps have higher iq'... so i will give them the benefit of he doubt there.  the whole thing gave my wife and i a great laugh!

Scot
Thursday, June 12, 2003

50 => 127

Agrees with a prior test they made us take in highschool.

Plastics
Thursday, June 12, 2003

55 => 135

Maybe they take into account the remaining time after you answer each questions. The higher the time, the higher the IQ ?

Aurelio
Thursday, June 12, 2003

It was simpler than that.

http://www.testonfox.com/247/table.htm

Aurelio
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Wait a minute, my Maximum IQ is 135? No wonder the students didnt do so well, they test was biased so they couldn't possibly do as well as the scientists or Dr. Drew, even if they got more questions right.

That also doesn't look like a bell curve to me. It takes 6-7 questions to get 10 points. It's pretty linear.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

"DO NOT look up the book Bell Curve, I think it was a case for white superiority over blacks or something equally controversial."

Spoken like someone who formed an opinion based on second or third hand knowledge, instead of by someone who read the book.

Deduct 10 points from your Fox score for lack of critical thinking skills. :-p

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I also don't get the correlation between score and age. Are they saying older people tend to be not as smart?

IQ tests should be age-insensitive, other than the caveat that you can't test for IQ over a certain age (IIRC)

Philo

Philo
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Since we've opened this can of worms...

Here is some info about the book in question:
http://www.apa.org/journals/bell.html

From just skimming what they wrote, it doesn't appear to be just a racist tome as has been implied.

Mark Hoffman
Thursday, June 12, 2003

You're right, I did form my opinion from 2nd and 3rd hand reviews, though I may have gone as far as to read the dust jacket myself.

I spend a lot of time in Barnes & Noble.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I studied Experimental Psychology in University. IQ studies was an area I took a particular interest in. No, memory for a bunch of symbols is not usually part of an IQ test, but I guess it might correlate with IQ.  I don't think the test is very good or standardized (I got bored with the crappy UI)

The book the Bell Curve is pretty poor in my opinion.  Most of the fundamental arguments that the book used (and maybe some of the data) had been thrown around around since 70s and 80s, and shown (and generally accepted) to be flawed reasoning.

You may or may not decide to draw conclusions like that book, (I wouldn't as I have yet to see any truly convincing evidence for the positions, and plenty that undermines them) but I wouldn't use any of the arguments in that book in a serious debate.

S. Tanna
Thursday, June 12, 2003

If you're smart enough to use Alt-PrintScreen and a pocket calculator you deserve your "high" IQ.

ODN
Friday, June 13, 2003

I'm 12 and I got 54/60 questions right, resulting in my I.Q. being 126.

Courtney Conrad
Friday, March 05, 2004

Please list the test results again.  I was so busy trying to follow the moving numbers for people in our home, that I missed my IQ score.  It was lots of fun, though.  How about giving more time if you do this again.

Suzie Johnson
Saturday, March 06, 2004

Severe winds had knocked out power to about half of our street last night.  We were the last house with power.

When the "Test the Nation" program came on, we figured it would be fun - even though it was on Fox.  60 questions and countless commercials later they promised to return with the answers after just one more "break".

I'm sure anyone can guess what happened next.  Yes, our power went out for the next half hour.

No problem, I thought, I'll just go onto the website and check the answers there right?

Nope.  If anyone happened to write down the answers and still has them laying around.. Please send them my way. 

Steve leach
Saturday, March 06, 2004

I got a 117 : )

Leanna Steiner
Monday, May 03, 2004

Please help, I am taking a on gifted children and we were taking the Test the Nation IQ test as a group (from tape of show on March 5, 2004).  The tape cut out and we caould not get the answers to check our scores.  Does anyone still have the correct answers?

Jessica Marolla
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

I got a 129.

Johnny
Thursday, July 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home