Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Cool title

My company doesn't have a formal difference between software engineer, senior software engineer, staff engineer, whatever. We all are software engineers, even if some of us have quite senior positions, lead projects, etc.

We are allowed to put anything on our business cards, however.

What would you chose as your title, given a choice?
Please be reasonable, President will not work, probably :)

Another question -- I have Ph.D. Should I put it on my business card or it's too ambitious?

Thanks!

Software craftsman
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Jedi

Damian
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Just your name. Put PhD after it if you would like; personally, I wouldn't, but then I don't have one :-)

Just don't put your job title on it. This will add a touch of class. Trust me.

I'm English. We know all about class.

Tom
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I've always like's Wile E. Coyote's business card:

Wile E. Coyote
Super Genius

Yours, of course, would be:

Wile E. Coyote, Ph.D.
Super Genius

Tim Sullivan
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I kind of like Software Engineer.  In the past I have been Member of Technical Staff.  That is kind of vague but could be interpreted as a do anything kind of person.  I'll settle for Super Genius.

mackinac
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I generally go with "Software Architect," because that's what I think I do. I've always considered "Software Engineers" to be embedded, real-time guys, and that's not what I do.

I've heard a rumor there's a guy at NASA whose sole job is to sit around dreaming up ways to break the speed of light. His business card says simply "Master of Time and Space"

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

You can put any title you want? How about "CEO"?

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Wouldn't "Father of VBA" be a better attention getter? [grin]

Philo

Philo
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Tim

LMAO

My kids and I have been running around using that title for years.  The only one I've seen that I like better:

Isaac Asimov
    Natural Resource

and just to clarify it's:

Wile E. Coyote
Suuuuper Genius

B#
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Mark Wieczorek
How did you ever get by without me?

Thomas A. Anderson
"The One"

Martha Stewert
Embezzeler

Dr. Drew
Fox Thinks I'm a Genius

My personal favorite:

Mark Wieczorek
Human Being

I think I'd avoid "architect" like the plague now. Unless you put "the" in front of it.

The Architect
                          The Matrix

What does Steve Jobs' business card say? Probably just:

Steve Jobs

Does he really need to put anything else?

Joel - does your say "founder" ?

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

OK, maybe this is a US / UK thing (I'm in the UK), but round here I would not describe myself as Treefrog Ph.D, but as Dr Treefrog.

And I definitely have it on my business card.

regards,

treefrog
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I know a sysadmin with "BOFH" as job title.

-
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Mine says "Geek".

I think that pretty well sums it up, but you could try "Computer Geek" if you need to be more explicit.

Steve Barbour
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Oh, I had a previous job doing network sales (I really needed the job) at a local VAR where I was the only sales guy.

My title was "Vice President of Intergalactic Sales".

It was in response to the title inflation going on, in a small company in which everyone pretty much made their job up as they went along, and pretty much everyone was a Vice President of something (all 10 of us).

Actually got a few sales calls from people just because they liked the title.

Steve Barbour
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I would second Tom's suggestion

I have no job title on my business card.
No credentials either.

Always want to puke when i see

Joe Blogg - BSc (hons) MSc(Oxon) DPill FICS  ........

tapiwa
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I think "Jedi" is a pretty cool title. Don't feel like you can live up to it? Then try "Padawan" for a couple of years...

Mark
Thursday, June 12, 2003

How about something charmingly fascist, like "Dictator for Life"?

"Information Achitect" is always nice, as is "Software Developer Extraordinaire"

Gustavo W.
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Agree with treefrog, putting "Dr Pietro" is better. Those in the know understand what it means, others may or may not care.

OTOH, I can do the same, but I very rarely do. Unfortunately it generally means little outside the closed academic world.

Pietro
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I like MTS (Member Technical Staff) as it references the once mighty Bell Labs - where everyone was MTS to start, and it was a coveted title to be had.

asdf
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I agree with putting Dr. on the card instead of adding PhD on the end. I dunno...It just seems a bit over the edge to add PhD, but prefacing it with Dr. seems ok.

While the English may be the masters of class, I'm not sure I would agree with not putting a title on the card. When I get a card from someone I naturally look at their title. If I don't see one, it makes me wonder if they are just a lowbie in the company who is a gopher and doesn't deserve a title.

But I could be wrong.

Mark Hoffman
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Mr. Fancypants
Renegade of Funk

Mister Fancypants
Thursday, June 12, 2003

> Mr. Fancypants
> Renegade of Funk

AWW yeah.

I think when most people see "Dr. Smith" they immediately assume "MD" and one day someone will yell "is there a doctor in the house" and you're gonna get shoved in the wrong direction.

No title on the card may be classy, but when I have a half dozen business cards in front of me and I'm trying to figure out who to call, it helps to have titles.

Makes me wonder who the first person to call themselves "Web Master" was.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Most ISO companies use "Software Designer", "Manager", "Director" and "CEO".

William Williams
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Gern Blanstan
Master of Time, Space and Dimension

- Steve Martin

B#
Thursday, June 12, 2003

My personal business cards say:

Brent P. Newhall
Masked Defender of Justice

Brent P. Newhall
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I have one of those "make your own business card" kits at home. I haven't thought of anything clever to put on them though, any suggestions?

Since this isn't a professional calling card, I'm willing to take wacky suggestions (hint: none of the suggestions so far jumped out at me, though I did like my own 'human being" one).

If you really have nothing to do, you can browse my website to learn more about me.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

MarkTaw

Hopeless Semantic

B#
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I thought maybe

MarkTAW
Overly Sarcastic

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Hey, I thought it was moderately amusing in that semantics is defined, among other things, as the study of relationships between signs and symbols and what they represent.

Joel might even want to hire someone of this ilk.  <g>

B#
Thursday, June 12, 2003

It appears that

MarkTaw
    Narcissist

would be most appropriate.

jb
Thursday, June 12, 2003

MarkTAW
    Narcissist

See, now this is good stuff.

How about

MarkTAW
I now return you to your life, already in progress.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

> Hey, I thought it was moderately amusing in that semantics is defined, among other things, as the study of relationships between signs and symbols and what they represent. <

That would definately define well what I'm trying to accomplish with the business card. Did anyone catch that PBS thing about the guy who sells paperclips and erasers and crackers in order to examine the process of purchasing and transactions?

MarkTAW
Just gave you a little white rectangle

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Mine, rather mealy mouthed, says:

Java/C++ Expert and Project Manager

Anonymous
Friday, June 13, 2003

I think, were I to have a business card, I kind of like the idea of using something unexpected - like a verb.

I once received the title from an administrator, "The Verbose", but perhaps that isn't quite what I'm looking for. I like the idea of a personally descriptive phrase, rather than a title, as it tells about me rather than merely what I do.

So, for instance:

Brian Hall
Verbose, Not Garrulous
General Problem Solver

Except, you know, a good one.

Plutarck
Friday, June 13, 2003

Business Card
I used to belong to Mark Wieczorek* but I now belong to you.

* Mark Wieczorek has a website at...

I think the real answer is to make a few of several good ideas, like those collectors magazine covers. Then put instructions on the back for how to turn it into various origami animals.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 13, 2003

A few weeks ago several of my business partners and I were sitting around the table at Pierce & Pierce. This was a perfect time for me to show off my new business card. I, especially proud of this one, explained to them that the color of the card was called "Bone" and the lettering was something called "Scilian Braille." They were impressed until David Van Paten pulled out his new card. Timothy Brice, the only interesting person I know, told him that it was "really super" and asked him, "how a nitwit like him got so tasteful." I can't believe that Brice prefers Van Paten's card to mine. Timothy then proceeded to pull his new card out to show the group, which was impressive, very nice. I wanted to see Paul Allen's card, which Paul had just given to Brice several minutes previous. When I looked at it, my body filled with hate. It had a subtle off white coloring, and a nice bold thickness, and oh my god, it even had a watermark. This was what led me to the butchering of Paul Allen.

Patrick Bateman
Saturday, June 14, 2003

Well, my inkjet won't watermark, but I can go to the local stationers and get an embosser. I do also have a little hole puncher type box that rounds the edges very nicely, which makes my cards stand out (I did that at my old job where the business cards were completely standardized and it was always a good conversation piece during meetings as we were handing out business cards).

Maybe I should go classy instead. My sense of humor is probably too dry to come across on paper anyway. I'll come up with what I think is the single most witty thing that's ever been put on a small piece of stiff paper and nobody will get it.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, June 14, 2003

One of the pleasures of hardly ever meeting anyone in the flesh anymore is that I don't need all those crappy business cards.

Simon Lucy
Saturday, June 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home