Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Survey:: Personality Types

I just had a conversation with a collegue today, and she had her personality type test at a work away day. (Meyer Briggs)

I used to be totally interested in this back when I was in high school, and I thought it would be interesting to conduct an informal survey to figure out whether the tests are accurate career indicators.

This is interesting, since a lot of companies conduct these tests as part of the recruitment process, and I assume use the results to influence their results.

If you have never heard of these tests, here is a very short one to indicate your type.....
http://haleonline.com/psychtest/EorI.php

Longer test here.... (registration required)
http://www.advisorteam.com/temperament_sorter/register.asp?partid=1

A quick personality type and career/job titles. If you are an entreprenuer please hightlight.

tapiwa
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I will kick this off

ENTP  - Mgmt Consultant >> Financial Analyst

tapiwa
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Last time I did it I was INTP and it said I should be a computer geek (kind of handy, really).

One-Armed Bandit
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

INTJ - Should be locked in a dark room asap.

B#
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

INTJ - but kind of border line between J/P.  Professional nerd.  (i.e., s/W developer).  Favorite movie: "Revenge of the Nerds", of course.

mackinac
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ISTJ

But to be fair, I could have answered the first question either way

S. Tanna
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ISTJ
Last check the I and T are quite strong.
The S and J are marginal.

DougQH
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ESTP
You're action-oriented...pragmatic (look it up!)...outgoing and realistic. In situations that require resourcefulness, you use your quickness and flexibility to find the most efficient route to accomplishing whatever needs to be done.

heh

Dave B.
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ENTP

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ENTP

nathan
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ISTP: "I See The Problem!"

And it did do a pretty good job of analysis; to test this I switched the last answer so as to get ISTJ...and it hardly fit me at all. Quite a good test - at least the short one that i took :)

Career: student - har har. Actually, I highly expect a business career, likely in management/entrepreneur.

Plutarck
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

INFP, Just like Larry Wall and Gerald Weinberg!

!! :-)

Matt H.
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ISFJ - Software developer - details at http://haleonline.com/psychtest/results.php?EI=I&SN=S&TF=F&JP=J

Christopher Wells
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ISFJ - Full time developer

shiggins
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

INTJ - I apparently should also be locked in a dark room. But my personality says these tests are BS.

Ian Stallings
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

[If you are an entreprenuer please hightlight.]

I do co-own a business.

Ian Stallings
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd like to throw in one vote for "MB-Tests are a load of %$)^".

We tried this at a former employer a few years back, and found the results to be almost completely worthless.  Why?  Because the work environment we had was substantially different from most other environments in which our personnel had experience.  Thus, the person who had typically been quiet and reserved might suddenly find themselves being loud and outspoken, rendering the test results obsolete.  People behave differently in different environments; that doesn't seem like a major insight into human character but it seems totally overlooked in tests like this.

Additionally, every incarnation of these tests that I've seen seems to do a better job of measuring who you want to be than who you are.  Someone who would really like to be organized and on-the-ball shows up in these tests as organized and on-the-ball, when in reality they might be scatterbrained and disorganized.

Just my two cents.

Whapow!
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ISTP: software developer/team leader

DingBat
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

INTJ - programmer/analyst

The Real PC
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ISTJ - Unix System Admin

Whapow!
  it would really been interesting to see your MB type, with that response.

moses whitecotton
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ENTJ -- founder/CEO

Eric W. Sink
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ENTJ
ENTP

I've tested both ways and I'm always borderline

Job: Independent contractor: developer and designer (prefer design). Almost an entrepreneur...

Lauren B.
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ENTP

Daniel Shchyokin
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Another vote for Myers-Briggs being a load of crap.

They're like horoscopes with 16 instead of 12 signs.

Alyosha`
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

one more ISTJ

Prakash S
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

INTJ

And while fairly accurate, it also leaves much to subject opinion as to which list is better.  Some items on one list I disagree with, but agreed with more than on the other.

So as a generalization, may be valuable.  However, the issue as some have mentioned is that HR and hiring managers use this as yet another method of weeding you out. 

I can imagine:
INTJ - Good developer
ESTJ - Good manager
INFP - Zealot - Do not hire
etc. 

They can then use it to justify anything.  If we hire INTJ as a manager, we can offer you $15,000 less than ESTJs because of the risk.    Next it will be probability of going postal in an interview...

Alan Willman (DBA)
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

This categorization system has a very Ameri-British, facey, interpretation of people.

Energized
Gather
Decide
Lifestyle

Yes, a good tool for those of us in the carreer life. 

But what about the rural unindustrialized world, where your Aunt and Uncle sit all day in the grass and cut and bend aluminum foil into take-out bowls to sell at the market?

Happy
Comfortable
Talkative
Does things

Don't forget that there are other ways of experiencing people and making up things about yourself.

Matt
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

JAVA

wait, wrong thread.

Matt Christensen
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

INFP - Software Developer / Programmer
(but I also paint in my free time... go figure)

HeyCoolAid!
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ENFP

I do own my corp.

UI Designer
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ESFJ - Software Developer / Database Admin / Sys Admin.  Probably going to go back to school and teach though.

Andrew Hurst
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

If I remember correctly, I'm an INFP.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I still think someone is data mining the JOS forum members. All sorts of inane questions about your favorite this (movie, book) and now your personality type.

I think the last time I suggested this my post was deleted. =)

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ESTJ.

I work as a developer, most often a team lead.

Norrick
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

INTJ

Like programming best, but really all facets of IT.

Brian R.
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

INTJ/P - coder

Jason Watts
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

INTP - coder

opera freak
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I/ENTJ - developer / tech lead

Matt
Thursday, June 12, 2003

INTP - coder

Nice
Thursday, June 12, 2003

ENTP:  Senior hacker type :-)

Patrik
Thursday, June 12, 2003

INTP - Configuration Management consultant. Ex-systems programmer.

INTP says I'm an 'architect' and that I dislike management!

Bang on!

gwyn
Thursday, June 12, 2003

ENTJ. "The Rational".

I've run my own business for about half of my career, although I'm not doing that right now.

There's a short blurb about this type on my web site:

http://www.braithwaite-lee.com/rites/misc/meyers-briggs.html

Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
Thursday, June 12, 2003

looks like a lot of T's on this site. A lot of I's too. A healthy sprinkling of ENTP's

Can we read anything into that?

tapiwa
Thursday, June 12, 2003

INTP -  Programmer, but right now I have to do almost everything related to computers. I real mess, just the way I like it, of course :-)

Ioao
Thursday, June 12, 2003

tapiwa: We can read lots of things into that.  Would that be wise?

Brent P. Newhall
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Someone actually bothered to read through this list and notice what was predominant here? Maybe it's the INFP in me talking, but that just seems silly.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

ISTJ ANd I am unemployed. Are the two "facts" corelated?

Gunjan Sinha
Thursday, June 12, 2003

ENTP - Programmer Extraidonaire, bad surfer, worse golfer, enjoyer of anything shiny and new.

Jack of All
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Brent:: Not at all. The question was tongue-in-cheek. The fact is though, some folk will find patterns, and use them to make big (e.g. hiring) decisions.

MarkTAW:: being an ENTP, I was able to skim through the list, as I scrolled to the posts, and quickly identify the underlying trends :-]

Seriously though, there are I would say, a more than proportionate number of T's on the board. Do T's make good techies, or do techie fields just attract T's?

A lot of I's too. Does that validate the theory that techies are largely loners?

To be honest, whether you believe in the MB personality types is not the issue. Fact, there are people out there that do, and understanding where they are coming from or what criteria they might use to judge you is always a good thing.

tapiwa
Friday, June 13, 2003

ENTJ, all strongly.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, June 13, 2003

okay, let's pretend it's the 70's. What sign is everybody? Let's look for trends there too.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 13, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home