Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

First Job Search

I'm one summer away from starting my senior year in college (as a CS major). I hope to find a job after graduation that is somewhat rewarding. I figure my odds of doing so are best if I start scouting out jobs now. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about this? Anyone know any good ways to schmooze companies way before it makes sense to apply? (By the way, I'm trying to stay in the New York/Boston area, if that makes a difference).

Thank you.

Dan Stowell
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I would see your college career office ASAP.  They are bound to have job postings and resume/cover letter help.  I would then look through the phone book and see which companies you WANT to work for.  Call them.  Ask to speak to the IS department.  Chat about IS things.  Ask if you can send that person your resume.  They may say no, they may say yes, they may not want to talk to you, you may be directed to the HR department.  The important things is that you speak with someone if at all possible.

Websites like Monster are not all that great.  I have gotten calls from 3 or 4 companies who happened to find my resume on monster.  1 of them was a recruiter.  Use recruiters at your own discretion.

To be honest with you, this economy sucks and the demand for entry level IT people is simply not there. 
The college I graduated from placed 3 out of 45.

Try for an internship and work your way up.  Start your own business. 

There are no easy answers.  A lot of patience, a lot of work, a lot of time.  You may succeed, you may not.  Switch careers.

Bananananana Spleet
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Advice:

1) Try for an internship and work your way up

I second the above advice.  Get the internship *NOW*, then try to go full-time when you graduate.

2) Target growing companies in growing industries.

3) Do research about the company before you interview.

good luck!

Matt H.
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Although it may sound sad, another good way to get a job is to KNOW SOMEBODY.... even just a little.

You'd be surprised how much hiring managers will favor you if you know somebody who already works at the company -- you don't even have to know them that well, as long as the person you know doesn't have a bad impression of you, you've got a leg up.

So, perhaps try making a list of people you know who work at companies you might like to work for, even if they are just casual acquaintances from school, or whatever.

Mister Fancypants
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I know a guy who got a job through working as a gardener in his vacation. He did some work for a CEO who decided to give him a go. He turned out reasonably well.

Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Deep down, I suspect a large part of the decision to hire someone comes down not to their talents, but to the basic question: Is this person a psychopath? 

Having someone vouch for the fact that you aren't, or that you did a good enough job of hiding it from them, is a big plus.

Mister Fancypants
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

You will never, repeat, *never* be able to get an interview as easily as you can when recruiters come to your campus.  So...

- Get to know one of the career counselors at your school really well, starting in August, not April
- Submit your resume for each employer visit  you might be interested in, do your research, interview, THEN decide if you want to work for someone.
- Network.  Many years of Alumni have been exacly where you'll be; your department office or career center might be able to help you track down folks willing to hook you up, or at least give advice.

Good luck!

Greg Hurlman
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Greg - my friend is a recent grad from Cooper U and currently works at NYU.

She didn't get the best grades, but I think she did better than she let on. During those career fairs, just about everyone who did as well as her or better that she knew got a great job with a company like Lucent, or some other really neat company to work for.

Go to the career fair.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Monitor when your school has on-site interviews. Companies tend to have informational sessions at night, then an on-site interview the next day. Attend those informational sessions.

These interviews will polish yours skills. Companies tend to only go to these when they have the intention of hiring.

S. Gwizdak
Friday, June 13, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home