Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Monster.com tip

Since I know a lot of people here are looking, I wanted to pass along my #1 job search tip:

Change your resume on Monster *every* day. Why?
Recruiters only search resumes on Monster that are 48-72 hours old. Making a change resets the date on the resume, and you're back in the mix.

I noticed this in '99 when I was hunting - posted my resume and the phone rang off the hook, then dwindled down. I had to make a change for some reason, and the phone started ringing again. It was after the third change I noticed the pattern. It's held true ever since.

Last four months - nothing off Monster. Edited my resume Saturday and I've had four inquiries in the last two days.

I hope this helps someone out there...

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Ssssssssssh!

If everyone does that then it won't work as well.

AC
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I think this works for all the major job sites.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

And personals sites!

anon
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

"And personals sites."

Today I'm black.

Tomorrow I like Sushi.

Yeah. I like it.

R C
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Uh oh. We're not headed into an era of blog-umes are we? You know, weblog-resumess that detail the minutae of a person's work life.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

How depressing.

Surely such a popular site could implement a better solution than this.

I think the more people that know this the better - it may lead Monster to do something about their search tools.

Walter Rumsby
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Slash resumes? Build up karma by helping other people out with their resumes, and the person with the most karma gets listed first?

Otherwise, this gets back to the "how do you sort through 2,000 resumes" question - if you have a job bank where several thousand people equally qualify for a job based on the search criteria, how do you choose which ones to display first?

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I think that makes sense, considering that job searchers are looking at the most recent postings as well.   

anon
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Mark, this site might be the ultimate in blog banality:

http://www.wibsite.com/wiblog/dull/

Chris Winters
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

ROFL. I particularly like the 100+ comments after each "I wore a pair of shoes today" entry.  Great parody.

Chris Nahr
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Walter, if a headhunter searches for 'Oracle ASP' in a certain geographic region how else should monster return the 200+ results?  Ordering by last modified date ensures that the people actively looking for work are listed higher up on the results.  Seems fair to me. 

Steve H
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Steve H - yes, more recent resumes are more likely to be active job seekers, but as this thread demonstrates, sorting on date also rewards people who are willing and able to constantly update their resume simply to exploit the sort order.

Possible improvements: give users an "I'm still looking button" - make it clear that searchers can filter out users who haven't clicked it within a certain timespan. (yeah, this does have the cynical advantage to monster of forcing users to visit more often, but it also makes the rules more transparent, and helps people who have longer job searches - eg somebody searching after 2 months doesn't show up below somebody who already got a job after 1 month).

Make the sortable date the last significant change. This might be a little trickier, but if the change won't have a real effect on how the resume will show up in searches, then searchers shoudln't care about the change. This means people simply changing to get better search placement would have to risk said placement.

GersonK
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

"if you have a job bank where several thousand people equally qualify for a job based on the search criteria, how do you choose which ones to display first?"

I think I have the perfect solution to all such problems: do it completely and utterly randomly, with no rhyme or reason.

That way you are as insulated as possible from unintended consequences of your culling techniques.

Plutarck
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

That reminds me of a resume-filtering technique I heard a while back on this forum... Take half the resumes and throw them away without looking at them.  Why?  Never hire someone who is unlucky.

ODN
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

My advice would be to forget Monster.com and all the job sites. The seeming simplicity of those approaches is also the danger. You're subjecting yourself to mass swamping, and also to review by people with superficial understanding.

Instead you have to find and build networks directly with companies that do the work you're interested in. This is not as hard as it sounds. Most employers, especially the ones worth working for, advertise their positions on their web sites. In fact, that's often how recruiters find those positions in the current market.

In summary, the best investment of your time and effort is outside the recruiter / middleman supply chain.

analyst
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Re: blogging
- http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/blogparody.htm

Re: resume sorting

I think I have the solution to this problem. YAWYL - the claritus database that tracks neighborhoods by zip code and determines which of the 50 or so class types live there.

http://www.marktaw.com/culture_and_media/YouAreWhereYouLive.html

Do you want docile, lower class workers that are easy to control with salary, or do you want upper class workers who are more sympathetic to the idea of keeping sed lower class workers in line?

It's funny how innocent that article seems even 1 year ago compared to what's now public knowledge about TIA and that the pentagon wants to create a database tracking every possible item of data about every one of it's citizens.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Monster in particular lets you add skills in their weird "add a skill" interface. Why not add a skill a day?

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

...after reading the "Learn [x] in 24 hours" book?

Philo

Philo
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Exactly!

There's always another way of saying the same thing so that you'll turn up in marginally more searches.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 13, 2003

Do you actually need to change the wording, or can you just delete a word, put it straight back in, and post again.

Stephen Jones
Friday, June 13, 2003

I think you have to change something, but it's trivial. Why not try it for yourself and see?

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, June 14, 2003

I just alternate adding and removing a space from the title.

Philo

Philo
Sunday, June 15, 2003

Since we're already gaming this, how far do you want to go? What time of day should you update your resume? 9am Eastern time? 10:00 at night would like a less opportune time to update your resume - 12 hours later it was updated the previous day.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home