Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What do you listen to while working?

And what is your favorite band name?

'The Tragically Hip' stands out for me.

3 Dollar Bill and the Bad pennies
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

My playlist includes, but is not limited to electronica and industrial music. A big whack of it is X Marks the Pedwalk, KMFDM, Skinny Puppy, X-Dream, Ministry, Prodigy and their ilk. There's some Jazz and ProgRock thrown in for good measure: Nina Simone, Duke Ellington, Pink Floyd and the Velvet Underground, as well as a couple of soundtracks (Run Lola Run, Amelie and Metropolis have been getting most of the play on that front, recently)

Favourite band name:
The Stone Roses.

Tim Sullivan
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Mostly metal and progressive rock, although our (mine and my wife's) CD collection spans around 2000 CDs of every imaginable genre.

Amorphis, Andromeda, Blind Guardian, CoC, Demons & Wizards, Dream Evil, Dream Theater, Iced Earth, Jacob's Dream, Jag Panzer, Kamelot, Labyrinth, Lost Horizon, Nightwish, Rhapsody, Royal Hunt, Sonata Arctica, Spock's Beard Stratovarius, Symphony X.

Of course, the standards... ELP, early Metallica, early Megadeth, Bruce Dickinson-era Iron Maiden, Dio, Black Sabbath, Helloween, Ozzy, early Pantera, early Anthrax, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Yes, Queensryche, Pink Floyd, Queen, very early Chicago, very early Genesis, etc.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Tim

Why The Stone Roses?

B#
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

http://www.marktaw.com/temp/winamp.htm

a recent playlist (though not randomized)

http://www.radioparadise.com

for new music.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Mark

Posting a playlist is an excellent idea.  I'm always searching for new shit and this (obviously) makes it easy.

B#
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

My own band's music is too distracting for me to listen to while working ( http://www.marktaw.com/blog/TheCompletePettycoatRecor.html )

Favorite band name... I've always wondered what "Portishead" meant. I have a name that I like for my next project, but I'm not revealing it here. I've always liked "Information Society" too. It's hard to seperate the name from the band.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

B# - Thanks.

Is it just me or do car commercials lately have the best songs? Too bad that "I only have eyes for you" song was commissioned and you can't buy it anywhere.

This is actually a subset of my part playlist from a recent party.

Oh, and I discovered this neat old plugin for winamp that tracks your listens and creates a top 20 list over any given time period. The downside is it only uses ID3v1 tags and crashes if I listen to internet radio stations (so I have to disable it first). It's called Personal Hit List. Look it up. I'm gonna be posting mine to my site once I have enough data to create a meaningful top 20.

The neat thing is you can publish automatically and it'll run any program you want pre/post creating the list, so you can make it to FTP to your site on a regular basis.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

*party playlist

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Portishead is the name of a place in Bristol, England. I believe it's where the band formed.

Joel Goodwin
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Not unlike that other popular British band... Liverpool.

Seriously though, on this side of the pond it's just a cool word. I suppose you'll tell me Radiohead is a place in France?

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

When I'm working I tend to listen to soft trip-hop and ambient music: Thievery Corporation, Massive Attack, Tricky, Kruder and Dorfmeister, etc...

Funny thing is that I'm not a big fan of this kind of music but I find it somewhat relaxing and unintrusive.

When I'm not working I really enjoy classic rock from the 70's (Led Zeppelin, The Who, Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Queen, etc...) and punk (The Ramones, The Clash, Bad Religion, etc...). I think it's just a matter of mood.

Daniel Tio
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

I can't stand listening to any music while I work. I find it very distracting.

I have a small water feature thing on my desk and that makes a faint trickling sound. That's all...

LesC
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

The sound of my colleagues working. Or talking.

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Depends really
-Captain Beefheart has been getting a lot of rotation recently (well after all, it makes more sense than management!) - especially Clear Spot and The Spotlight Kid
-Rickie Lee Jones and Eliza Carthy (Red Rice is a stuninng album) are also favorites.
-Sometimes the only thing that really does it is Piblic Enemy, Iggy and the Stooges or Nirvana.
-Deep House is great stuff to listen to while programming. It is just so uplifting that it is impossible to programme badly while it is on. I recommend Deep Dish, or the Lazy Dog mixes, as well as any of the Fantazia compilations with Allister Whitehead.
-Aphex twin is also rather special. I think that Druqks was a seriously underated album.

regards, 

treefrog
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

At my previous job it used to be salesmen on the phone over the thin cubicle wall, very distracting. At my present gig I hear workmates chatting and laughing (something that would never have happened at my previous post - laughing that is).

Still, despite the friendlier atmosphere, I found the day and a half I spent working from home last week a lot more productive than working in the office. At home I get to listen to the traffic on "the busiest road in Australia", my girlfriend fretting about her thesis, whatever music I like and the pitter patter of cat feet. Much more enjoyable (despite "the busiest road in Australia").

If you want to know what I actually listen to, I recently downloaded the Audioscrobbler plug-in for my media player so you can check out the link below and see for yourself:
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=top10&file=userinfo&user=wrumsby

Audioscrobbler is a UK computer science student's masters/doctoral (I think) project and is supposed to use collaborative filtering to provide music recommendations. I've always had a soft spot for recommendations services (I'm a big Amazon.com fan) so I'm keen to see what I get recommended. I'd recommend it to anyone else who is interested in such services.

Walter Rumsby
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Looks even better than that plugin I recommended!

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

http://www.di.fm while working, infact got the link from someone on this website.

Current fav bands: Queens of the Stone age, foo fighters, Red hot chilli peppers, Interpol, Flaming Lips, Wilco, Audioslave..

Prakash S
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Anyone going to see Lollapalooza this year? They have a re-invigorated Janes Addiction that may be worth the price of entry alone!

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

B#: I dunno. I just like the image of a stone rose, removed from a statue or something. It also contrast with their Brit Pop sound. I think it's a keen name. :-)

Tim Sullivan
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

http://www.starstreams.com/

Heston Holtmann
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Various music....... collection of about 8000 mp3 from my cd collection randomized.

All genres... classical, rock, alternative, soul, ragga, reggae, african, salsa.

The one thing I don't have much of is rap music.

tapiwa
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Radiohead is not a place name - the band got their name for a Talking Heads song. (Who in turn just grabbed their name from the old phrase describing tv's that simply consist of people talking).

GersonK
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

XM satellite radio.

Ch. 6 - Sixties on Six (famous and obscure songs from the sixties, complete with loud, fast-talking DJs)

Ch 50 - The Loft (acoustic rock and the like)

Ch 73 - Frank's Place (Sinatra and other singers of his time.  Great to listen to late at night)

Ch 104 - Fine Tuning (the best of a number of genres)

Ch 110 - XM Classics (classical)

XM now has a $70 receiver that plugs into a PC.  Haven't tried it, but those who have like it.

Hardware Guy
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

You guys all use headphones when you're in the office, right?  And keep them on your head?

The only time I can tolerate listening to music in the office is when working on something essentially mindless.

mackinac
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Can't listen anything while I really work. But when doing something easy and mechanic - noisy electronic music. Prodigy is my favorite one, of course.

Evgeny Goldin
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Phish

apw
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Nothing... I concentrate better when it's quiet.

HeyCoolAid!
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

My coworker who speaks comfortably at about 34dB from 6:30 to 9:00 EVERY DAMN MORNING about her vintage trailer, vintage scooter, harley, son, vacations.  That and the sound of my keyboard keys peeling off my forehead after slamming my face into my laptop out of utter frustration.

shut up already
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

nothing, and I wear earplugs if necessary.

Brent
Thursday, June 12, 2003

> 34dB

34 dB is actually pretty quiet, probably quieter than your average room with some people in it even if they aren't doing much.

60 dB is closer to conversational.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I prefer nothing, but when I have to cover background noise I can work to Soul. Assuming I don't go dancing around the office.

a little bit softer now...
a  l i t t l e  b i t  s o f t e r  n o w...

spaceman
Thursday, June 12, 2003

ambient when think;
punk when deadline;

na
Thursday, June 12, 2003

Miles Davis
Coltrane
Sonny Rollins

Farid
Thursday, June 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics