Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

A Damned Good Link

Joel's link to Steve Pavlina's site is great! If nothing else, I'd urge shareware developers to take a look at the bit on networking ( http://www.dexterity.com/articles/business-networking.htm -- and no, not that kind of networking).

Thomas Sanders
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

It is good, isn't it. I wandered happily through there yesterday.

Justin
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I wonder how he finds those links!

Any bright ideas to find such great stuff?

JD

JD
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

> I wonder how he finds those links!

He surfs a lot, that's how.

char* full_name()
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

The same stuff was on slashdot last week. Maybe he reads slashdot? Anyway I do and its great to get all kinds of information/sites/links. However I took me some time to get used to /.

Smurf975
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I really liked the articles on Personal Productivity, and the bit about him graduating in 3 semesters, that was cooooooll.

Prakash S
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I too loved that link! I found it really inspiring, actually, and I'm going to be giving alot of that stuff a try. Going to try to mix together Time and Energy Management and see what I come up with.

My success so far: I've cleaned up a considerable portion of my living room today. Well, ok, just next to my couch...but still, it was really a mess. I'll do better tommarrow :)

Plutarck
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Actually, I take that back: I'm going to do more today.

See, it's working already.

I think what he said was just the final bit of connection required to get things to "click". Finally I had enough philosophical and information foundation underlying it for time and energy management, and goal setting to make sense.

Plutarck
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Theres a lot of blogging going on, you don't have to surf too far when bloggers you like are filtering all this stuff up and crosslinking.

Richard
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

The story about him graduating in 3 semesters is total bullshit.

Pleeeze, I wasn't born yesterday. It's one thing to have a challenging schedule but there are physical limits.

So why didn't he just move on to get his PH.D in a week?

Steve
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

"So why didn't he just move on to get his PH.D in a week?"

Maybe he did.

Har har har. None the less, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Plutarck
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Steve Pavlina isn't some fly-by-night guy who tossed together a website; his story is well-known.  He is real.

Brent P. Newhall
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Me again. Altho' I'm *extremely* suspicious of him graduating in three semesters, I got completly sucked into his articles. They are very well written.

I think I'll go home now and write my goals -- I'm pumped!

Steve
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I don't know whether he got degree in 3 sem or not, but boy his article has OPENED my eyes! Felt like, I didn't do anything important all these 22 years!

Anyways, its never too late. I am going to read/re-read/re-read his article and get things moving. Will get things done. Already my room is organized. Plan to do much much more over the coming days!

Thanks a ton again for wonderful link!
Regards,
JD

P.S.: I will write a thank you mail to him as well! :)

JD
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

> Steve Pavlina isn't some fly-by-night guy who tossed
> together a website; his story is well-known.  He is real.

Well-known by whom?

I'll give him credit for being a tireless self-promoter, that's for sure.

Michael Eisenberg
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Tireless self-promoter. Great networker. There's a difference?

Andrew Reid
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I liked his articles, and in particlar I found his comments regarding marketing and market research to be quite useful.  Its amazing what you can find on the web these days.  Sites like Joel's, Steve's and Eric's below are real gold mines.

If you are interested the marketing type stuff, I can thoroughly recommend the following:

http://software.ericsink.com/Choose_Your_Competition.html

http://software.ericsink.com/Positioning.html

cheers,
Peter

Peter McKenzie
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

In college, I did one 22 hour semester and one 19-hour one (if memory serves).  If I'd "merely" doubled the hours, I could've been done in 3 semesters as well.  Given what was going on in my life at the time (i.e., nothing!) it would've been pretty possible, especially if I skipped some classes like he did.  I probably would've needed to live on campus, though.

People (i.e. faculty) thought I was crazy taking as many hours as I did; I can't imagine having convinced them to let me take 40+ hours a semester, though.

Phillip J. Eby
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home