Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Best Practices For Dealing With Users ...

If anyone here is not yet aware of the B .. Operator From Hell series, here are some great techniques for improving work ( #1 is one of the best):

It's backup day today so I'm pissed off. Being the BOFH, however, does have it's advantages. I reassign null to be the tape device - it's so much more economical on my time as I don't have to keep getting up to change tapes every 5 minutes. And it speeds up backups too, so it can't be all bad can it? Of course not.

A user rings

"Do you know why the system is slow?" they ask

"It's probably something to do with..." I look up today's excuse ".. clock speed"

"Oh" (Not knowing what I'm talking about, they're satisfied) "Do you know when it will be fixed?"

"Fixed? There's 275 users on your machine, and one of them is you. Don't be so selfish - logout now and give someone else a chance!"

"But my research results are due in tommorrow and all I need is one page of Laser Print.."

"SURE YOU DO. Well; You just keep telling yourself that buddy!" I hang up.

You'd really think people would learn not to call..

http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~nhughes/bofh/

Admirer of BOFH
Monday, June 09, 2003

Here is a link to the system admin's pricelist when dealing with dumb users.

http://usenet2.jeffenstein.org/humor/pricelist.html

tapiwa
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

What I'd really like is a list for dealing with stupid system admins. You know, the ones that think they're the reason the company has all those computers.

DingBat
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

hmmm, why does a system need a system admin? Oh yeah because a programmer created a system that was so complicated it required one. Heeheehhahahahahahahhehehehehhe

moses whitecotton
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

DingBat,

When you find such a list; make sure to email me a copy :)

Patrik
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I find it fairly easy to deal with the BOFH types. All you need to remember is that he's doing you a favor by letting you use his network.

Once you approach it from that perspective, it's fairly easy to manage the little pricks.

Chris Tavares
Monday, June 16, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home