Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

stop deleting interesting topics..

why was the topic on that chappie who was creating a new programming language deleted?  it was on-topic and surprisingly interesting.
...as was shown tby the # of posts made to it.

Im _really_ getting sick of topics disappearing after a # of people have posted to it, sometimes good conversations seem to go for a while and then arbitarily disappear if they dont meet the (non-written) standards of the forum police.

rather disappointing  ;(

FullNameRequired
Monday, June 09, 2003

ye gods.....in a rather ironic twist I would suddenly give anything for this particular post to be deleted...

somehow I missed the computer language one despite repeated searches and leapt to an incorrect assumption ;(

FullNameRequired
Monday, June 09, 2003

That's rather funny, and therefore this is a good thread and should stay.

Also we all get a chance to vent some pent up angst on somebody making a mistake.

Realist
Monday, June 09, 2003

Search here Sucks. Joel admits it too.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 09, 2003

If you have a SQL Server backend, what's the best way to make it search fast. How is Microsoft solving this problem?

Li-fan Chen
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

this thread?

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=49148

AC
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I agree.  My very interesting and responseful (yeah you read me, 'responseful'!) topic "what should I eat" was mercilessly deleted after a few hours despite obvious user interest.

I felt hurt.  My self-esteem plummetted and I considered formng a support group.  But then I thought," who in hell would want to be in a support group with someone like me?".

Erik Lickerman
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

"But then I thought," who in hell would want to be in a support group with someone like me?""

I think thats a very good point and one that you should consider before joining or starting any club.

Personally, Ive only known of your existance for a few brief moments but I already consider you an unpleasant chap with very few (or no) redeeming features.

FullNameRequired
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I'd be happy to be in a support group with you, Erik...but only so I could make tasteless jokes about your last name.

The Word
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Speaking of which- maybe this is a new topic, but why do so few of you pst your real names to this site?

Erik Lickerman
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

why would we post our real names?  what possible good would that achieve?

FullNameRequired
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Because there's no reason to post your real name? Besides, it might cause more harm than good when your boss stumbles upon Joel on Software and discovers that you're dead set against performance appraisals and thinks he should shove them up his arse!

The value you add & get from this forum isn't dependant on posting your real name.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Erik-
I will be in your support group.  I could tell you the reason many do not use real names, but that answer would cause this thread to be deleted.

Christopher Hester
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Christopher - does this have anything to do with the recent Building Communities article?

People don't use their real names in many web forums. the only difference here is you don't have to register your e-mail address either.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I don't use my real name simply because I'd rather not risk a boss or coworker happening upon this and figuring out it's me.  The likelyhood of this is probably slim (and I realize that they could find out by monitoring my internet usage while at work) but it does make me feel a little more comfortable with being open about work related things (and if I'm particularly harsh, I post from home).

I fill out the email field with a real email address so that anyone on this forum could contact the real me if needed for some reason.

SomeBody
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

My response would contain swear words and the like.  More so I would end up saying bad things about others.  Therefore I chose to allude to this, rather than stating the obvious.

Christopher Hester
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Ah. I getcha.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I don't use my name because there is a control which asks for it but then is unable to enforce that fact. Its just stupid.

One can put any old crap in here
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

"One can put any old crap in here",

So you're afraid of someone spoofing you?

Interesting how one's design decisions leads to different behaviours on different systems. Would you feel this way if the forum required registration?

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

No, I just don't see why an edit box should have a label like "Full name" when it could as easily say "Favourite ice-cream flavour" and mean exactly the same - because here is no way of knowing that what you enter is your full name, or even your real name it is meaningless. That there is validation that you enter /something/ (even if it is only a space character) makes it even more so.

Mint-choc chip
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Well its so long ago that I first posted that not using my actual name seems hubris rather than security.

Plus anyone that cares can discover that Sliver is the other 'name' I use. 

My paranoia is picky.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

So, you think it's stupid that the interface *requests* something rather than *demand* it?  Why?

Brent P. Newhall
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

My real name has some interesting characteristics.  My last name is a common English word and also a common term in cyberspace.  Google shows 134,000 hits.

OTOH, it is rare as a last name.  A Google search using "first-name last-name" yields only 13 hits ("of about 44"), all being stuff I posted at various places on the Internet over the past 10 years.  The first couple are JOS postings where I used my real name.

This persistence of posting makes me cautious about using my real name.

On a side note: the number of hits on my name seems rather low.  I've done it before and gotten more and I know some are missing.

mackinac
Wednesday, June 11, 2003

"My last name is a common English word and also a common term in cyberspace.  Google shows 134,000 hits."

Your last name is a slang word for sexual intercourse?

No. Probably not. Too few hits.

Thursday, June 12, 2003

"So, you think it's stupid that the interface *requests* something rather than *demand* it?  Why?"

Actually it does "demand"... something, but to answer your question - because it bothers to check the input, but in what seems to me an amateurish way. The check seems to be (based on what I can get away with) "is not empty". Even a space character will suffice. To my knowledge nobody is called " ". In fact a check of two words each of minimum two characters, with only letters allowed would be on the way to a proper check IMO, given that identity on the 'net is almost impossible to prove.

My refusing to go along with the textual request yet satisfying the error check is, if you like, me pointing and saying "look, this is silly". It isn't worth making big deal over.

12/6/03
Thursday, June 12, 2003

I think forcing you to put *something* prevents everyone from posting as "anonymous coward" so even if they're an occasional poster and only use "." as their name, you get some sense of continuity. I have no sense of continuity when I read slashdot... Any random slashdot poster is lost in the wash of slashdottishness to me.

Asking for a "Full name" in that field simply encourages people to not act anonymously.

www.MarkTAW.com
Thursday, June 12, 2003

It doesn't work though, does it.

Friday, June 13, 2003

You're the guy with nothing in the name field, aren't you? You've been posting here for the past week or so, mostly on this topic. If you're not, you're someone imitating him.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, June 14, 2003

"You're the guy with nothing in the name field, aren't you"

Sometimes.

Sometimes I am not.

Sometimes other people do it.

See what I mean? It doesn't work.

something else here
Monday, June 16, 2003

> See what I mean? It doesn't work.

Well yeah, if you're gonna be a jerk about it.

Usenet doesn't ask for identifiable information either, I don't see you complaining about that.

Perhaps you'd prefer to register by a uniquely identifiable number that they give out at birth? Huh, THX-1138?

Emmanual Goldstein (aka www.marktaw.com)
Tuesday, June 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home