Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Using Bandwidth

Hi,

I have a problem. My host gives me 10 Gig of traffic to my site/month, but I only use about 500 Meg. What can I do with the other 9.5 Gig?

R C
Friday, June 06, 2003

Perhaps a better solution rather than trying to find a use for bandwidth, would be to address the problem in a different way? Try and save money by only paying for what you need maybe...  I would imagine the terms of your contract may well prohibit you from "sub-letting" as it were...

Andrew Cherry
Friday, June 06, 2003

How much are you paying?

I doubt if you would even save yourself what your time would cost to change it if you went for a cheaper provider with no bandwidth.

You've got to remember that how much bandiwidth you use can change dramatically if you post something other people link to.

If I had a site that only used 500MB I would reckon that 10Gig was about right, but most of that would be used if I was slashdotted.

It'a not so long ago that there were ferocious prices for overstepping your limit. Just bask in the security your sites  got more bandiwidth than you need, just like your desktop now has way more RAM than it needs.

Stephen Jones
Friday, June 06, 2003

You could determine which part of your site is the most popular.. learn why it's popular, and expand on it. That way more people will visit you. That will promote your site fine, but you might have to work on your promotion techniques too.

Li-fan Chen
Friday, June 06, 2003

In your position I would either take this as a chance to expand my website, or look upon the currently unused bandwidth as my insurance against being slashdotted off the net ;-)

If you exceed your planned bandwidth charges with most providers then one of two things typically happen

1 - your site is shut down
2 - you pay excess charges that would make your eyes water.

Robert Moir
Friday, June 06, 2003

Yeah, my site uses very little bandwidth relative to how much I have - I actually have several websites on the same account.

If I ever got slashdotted I'd probably have to sign my life over to my hosting company and work as a slave laborer for them until my debts were paid off.

I heard of a company that doesn't charge you for the two highest hours... I'd probably look into using them if I ever actually thought I was gonna get slashdotted.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 06, 2003

On "being Slashdotted" - is there ANY benefit to this happening for anyone to whom it happens? Such as increased sales, or recognizably more recognition of an idea that you're trying to publicize? One would thing that artificially increased traffic by actual eyeballs would be desirable - it's what all of these web traffic tools like Webposition Gold seek to do...

And I wonder if it's possible for a web site to defend itself, by using a custom script that reflects any "Slashdot" referror to an alternate site.

I get the mental image of 10s of thousands of people with no lives, no thoughts and no money to spend, drawing down your bandwidth and racking up $$$huge$$$ bandwidth bills on your end just because they saw something of passing interest and clicked on it. Like moths flying around a light.

Bored Bystander
Friday, June 06, 2003

Dear Bored Bystander,
                                  There's little benifit to you in having any informational website. Just as neither of us much more benefit from posting here than we would watching a baseball game and downing the six-pack.

You put up a personal web site for vanity, though if you are prone to self-deception you can call it altruism.

You want to be noticed, and if loads of people notice you, that's what the website is for.

On the technical side many free web hosting sites have a daily limit. They cut your site off when you exceed it.  You certainly need to make sure you have some similar type of agreement with any web hosting site you use, or you will be writing them an open check.

Stephen Jones
Friday, June 06, 2003

The mention on slashdot was how I found this site.  Which is a benefit to me, and (I like to think) to the site.
As for redirecting traffic based on referer tag:  Sure, it's possible.  I think mozilla's bug log does something special for /. traffic (I'm not at all familiar with bugzilla, but my understanding was that you couldn't vote to increase the priority of a bug if you were directed from /.).  But it's best not to rely on the refered information: my firewall at home strips it to protect my privacy, and there is almost 0 disadvantage (to me) to not providing it.

Brian
Friday, June 06, 2003

Brian, you're in the minority stripping referrers. I've seen the occasional software site that won't let me download if I strip too many things like referrers or cookies. It's their way or protecting themselves from other people direct linking into their site.

I just had a site link to one of the images on one of my sites. It's a low traffic site and there's nobody making a profit from my bandwidth, but if either of the above were true I'd take measures to defend myself.

I like the idea of a script that redirects people from Slashdot. Even better, maintain two versions of your site (easy with templating) and serve a different one up if the referrer is from slashdot. The same information, but in plain text format shouldn't be too bad.

I think the moral to this story is we shouldn't be creating bloated websites to begin with. If your website approaches plain text in simplicity, then you'll deal much better with a slashdotting.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 06, 2003

> There's little benifit to you in having any informational
> website. Just as neither of us much more benefit from
> posting here than we would watching a baseball game
> and downing the six-pack.

True and false. I benefit here by being involved in a community where I can ask stupid questions, and answer other people's stupid questions.

You can also build a reputation by being actively involved in a community, and then hang a shingle advertising your products and services. It's certainly better than building your reputation from scratch once you go into business.

Of course, that's purely monetary, but people seem to undertand money justifications.

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 06, 2003

Bored, there exist some providers that will throttle your bandwidth past a certain level, visit http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ .  Most hosts I've talked to are a bit shocked that I'd want to do such a thing, since they consider it exciting to survive a slashdotting, and their customers dream of it because they make money from it.

If you're only serving text, I think redirecting referrers will cut out a sufficient majority of /.ers.  One site redirected to that goatse.cx site, forcing slashdot to remove the link.

Fortunately for me, before I had to choose, a friend opened up an ISP so it's free. :)

Tj
Saturday, June 07, 2003

Actually there are a lot of benefits apart from vanity. I always call it enlightened altruism. If you contribute regularly to a site then you find people will go to much more effort to sort out any problem you may have, apart from things such as being offered job interviews when the guy whose Outlook you fixed becomes MD of a branch of a multinational (really happened to me).

And there are others; for example explaining something helps you understand it more.

However if you start trying to get something back from the word go you don't.

Stephen Jones
Saturday, June 07, 2003

"Actually there are a lot of benefits apart from vanity. I always call it enlightened altruism."

Though some would view this as selfish as well. I forget who said it but 'there are no truly unselfish acts' makes sense fom certain point sof view.

I was backpacking around the US and after a few weeks realized that everyone who took me in had their own motives, so I shouldn't be as overwhelmed by their gratitude as I originally was.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, June 07, 2003

I meant enlightened in the sense that it pays in the long run.

Your backpacking experieces are common. You start off being overwhelmed with gratitude and then go to the other extreme to avoid feeling guilty.

In fact people will often help you simply because it's not a great deal of trouble. Nothing to get too effusive about, but hardly a reason for distrusting their motives.

Stephen Jones
Sunday, June 08, 2003

Who said I "distrusted" their motives? All I meant was some of them were lonely and looking for company or a little excitement.

In this thread, you seem to be the one questioning other people's motives.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, June 08, 2003

Mark, now you're saying "some of them" and before you were saying "everyone". Maybe you expressed yourself a little badly, and maybe I did.

Some would want company or excitement, but some would be doing it because maybe their daughter or son is also backpacking and they would like somebody to pick them up, and some would be doing it because it wasn't any trouble anyway, and other reasons.

Stephen Jones
Sunday, June 08, 2003

Either way - some or all - I wasn't distrusting their motives, I was making peace with a debt I could never repay. For the record, none of them had sons or daughters that were backpacking.

You're right, something about your posts here rubs me the wrong way*, but I'm willing to leave it at that.

* qv the Self-evaluation thread

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, June 08, 2003

What's qv?

Stephen Jones
Sunday, June 08, 2003

Quod vide, Latin for 'see this'.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, June 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home