Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Worst Java IDE ever?

I spent the last 4 days wrestling with PowerJ from Sybase. 

After trying to compile a simple jsp/bean combination and failing, I lost it and threw my keyboard across the room.

The thing's so complicated and unstable that I've spent most of the time of my project trying to make it work, instead of working with it.

What's the worst experience you've ever had with an IDE, either for Java or anything else?

RP
Thursday, June 05, 2003

Go back to VB

Taylor
Thursday, June 05, 2003

Love them or hate them, Microsoft has some of the best IDE's in the business.

Eric Budd
Thursday, June 05, 2003

Visual J++ was a really good Java IDE at the time (and Microsoft has the best VM too).

(That time was 1999).

Walter Rumsby
Thursday, June 05, 2003

(had)

Walter Rumsby
Thursday, June 05, 2003

Whats wrong with  a text editor and sun's command line utlities?

Ed
Thursday, June 05, 2003

Go check out IntelliJ. Best. IDE. Ever.

It's been a massive pain to work in VS.NET for the last few days after using IntelliJ.

Fred2000
Thursday, June 05, 2003

Emacs with JDE.

Scott Rogers
Thursday, June 05, 2003

I don't blame the ide so much as the team, but for me it was Borland JBuilder.  It used to ask a song+dance to make a new package.  I stopped using it quickly, did penance using wordpad, then found best-of-breed tools.

It got much better though.

Greg
Thursday, June 05, 2003

visual cafe 2.0-3.0 used to crash every time you ran the debugger.

I love JBuilder

Daniel Shchyokin
Thursday, June 05, 2003

Seriously, try IntelliJ. If they made a .NET IDE, I'd be first in line.

Fred2000
Thursday, June 05, 2003

I seem to recall reading somewhere recently that IntelliJ is planning to release a .Net version of IDEA. I can't remember where I saw it, so I can't back that up with an article. Anyone have more info?

Worst Java IDE:

First prize: Visual Cafe
Close runner-up: Websphere Studio Application Developer

IDE Victim
Thursday, June 05, 2003

Worst ever: Sun ONE Studio 4 (used briefly, it's slow and ugly)
Best ever: Eclipse IDE (slick, great features, looks good).

Martin Dittus
Thursday, June 05, 2003

I thought I heard about an IntelliJ .NET IDE as well, and since starting some .NET projects, I've been dying to figure out where I heard it. I can't find any information about it now.

Fred2000
Thursday, June 05, 2003

IntelliJ are trying to hire C# developers. If they can find a couple of good ones they're planning to make a .NET version of IDEA.

A lot of IDEs and CASE tools are pretty painful actually.

Walter Rumsby
Thursday, June 05, 2003

I loved Visual J++ back when I was learning Java. I moved on and tried other IDEs, among them were JBuilder (seemed quite nice at the time, but the free version was too restricted and I couldn't afford a full version at the time), Forte for Java (back when it ran in SDI mode, which I hate; Forte and its Open Source brother Netbeans got better, though; they're just a bit too slow) and jEdit with a few plugins. I stayed with the latter. It's alright, especially since I hate those code wizard and form design tools in Java.

Really looking forward to try VS.NET 2003.

Christoph Daniel Schulze
Thursday, June 05, 2003

vi dammit!

punter
Thursday, June 05, 2003

I also cut my teeth on J++. I think 60% of what i know of java came from reading the accompanying MS source.

Power J was another innovative idea that unfortunately sunk. Sybase basically tried to do Optima++ over in Java.

Optima was a VB like gui builder that generated C++. Ditto PowerJ. Product has been shelved and JBUIlder licence bought.

There are some workarounds and the sybase fora if you are stuck with the products.

Karel
Friday, June 06, 2003

IDEAJ is best.
NetBeans is worst.
Visual Age for Java was too hungry.
JCreator is quite nice and easy for starters.

Phil
Friday, June 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home