Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Blogs and News pages: Up or down?

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

I'm adding a news page to my website. It's not really a blog since I only update it every few months. But when I add stuff, there may be 50 or 100 lines and a picture.

It seemed best to put the newest stuff at the top so people don't have to scroll down. Most blogs do this - it's the same way Joel does his pages.

But if the oldest stuff is at the bottom, and people want to read the whole thing ion chronological order, they have to start at the bottom, scroll up a bit to get to the start of the article, read downwards, then scroll up to find the start of the next article etc. I've previewed my news page and if I read them in chronological order it seems cumbersome.

Is this normal and should I worry?

Bill Rayer
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

If you're using a blogging app (rather than News app) you'll usually have two components anyway - the main page and archives.
On the main page you can have most recent first and then, in your archives, have oldest first.
That way you'd get the best of both worlds.
I don't know for certain if most News apps work that way i.e. main page/archives which is why I've singled out blogging apps.

adrian
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Bill - is this content really something someone will want to read like a story, knowing what happened first?

Most companies put the latest news on top, or just have one news item per page and a link to an archive with headlines.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

I'm using a text editor, not a blog or news app. This is low volume, eg 1 article every few months, whenever I update the site.

But I can still do what you said, eg the 'current' news will be arranged with the most recent first, and the archives can be arranged oldest first.

Bill Rayer
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Sorry Mark, I replied to Adrian before seeing your comment.

The news/blog page contains the history of a program I developed, and I planned to include extra news at the top whenever I update the program or the web site (maybe once a month).

I typed all of it in today, and when I was re-reading my handiwork I realized I had to start at the bottom and go up.

What you say is right - people quickly scan the top of the news to see if anything has happened. Most times they don't read the whole thing through so if it seems jerky it doesn't matter.

Bill Rayer
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Newest first is by far the most common way of displaying articles.  The WWW is not print.  I expect most web users have come to expect this format.

Richard Ponton
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Bill.

how about a clever page with a timeline then.

<-- started project -- defined scope --- development -- rollout -->

where you bold the item you're on now.

It quickly shows that what you're giving them is a timeline and where you are on the timeline.

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

do it the same way you do your resume/CV

Prakash S
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home