Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

English -> Malayalam

I wanted to translate a few pages for a site that I am maintaining.

Could any one help me find out how it is done ?

I wanted to Translate from English to Malayalam (a south Indian language). I am not asking any one out there to translate for me, I want some technical help.

Eldo
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Not sure how familiar you are with localization in general, or the precise nature of your problem, I am assuming that you are just making static duplicates of existing pages with the text changed only (or only basic other changes) and that you are not doing some kind of webapp or dynamically driven thing.

Theres a few wierd obstacles that complicate the translation process, typically the multilingual support on your development machine is important, and some kind of KVM switch to swap between keyboards. Soft international keyboards would be a pain for large bodies of text.

Your html source is going to have to be saved as UTF-8, and the encoding attribute will have to be set to UTF-8. Your CSS settings may need to be tweaked, you can forget about fonts like verdana, typically you should probably let the browser decide what default font to use.

I haven't touched on the fact that language support might be quite difficult to come by in common systems. Windows XP & 2000 is very good and will get you covered for quick tests. And notepad can decently display mixed text (so you can edit your web pages with it if you are stuck).

If for some reason you can't use UTF-8, you will have to start looking up more specific language encoding systems (you will have to google for these).

You may need to tweak your page layout. Other languages are usually more verbose than english as a rule, and translation can wreck some alignments and labels. Just eyeball it and see.

I am not familiar with Malayalam, so I don't know if it has differing text directionality (i.e. right->left like middle-eastern languages). If so the html may need to be modified (not certain about this).

Sorry if I was oversimplifying, I don't know how much experience you have with localization.

Richard
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

I mean, how exactly is joel doing the translation stuff ?

Eldo
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Volunteers...

Prakash S
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

I really don't see the need for two keyboards. You should be able to shift from one layout to another with a keyboard shortcut, and I presume that Mayalam keyboards, like Arabic ones, will have both the English and the Mayalam letters on each key.

It might be an idea to look at some of the Bible sites.  You should be able to get the Bible online in Mayalam without much difficutly, then you could look at the page source to get some ideas.

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

I didn't know that mallu's lurked this site ;-) other than me

Sunish
Thursday, June 05, 2003

Vaikom madhu- from

Sir,
  Iam ready to undertake your translation job with great fidelity. Both malayalam-Eng and Eng to Mal, Iam a senor Retd. Journalist. ok. Pl do reply.

vaikom madhu
Monday, December 01, 2003

Iam yet to receive response. pl expedite, thanks

vaikom madhu
Saturday, February 07, 2004

OK you want technical help ?
Here it is. If you have already installed malayalam software,  press cntrl+alt+shit+M and you will have Mal. font.  Thanks. vaikom madhu

vaikom madhu
Saturday, February 07, 2004

DF

ANDRIA DAWRAVOO
Monday, March 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home