Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Email client recommendations?

What email clients are people happy with?
- Outlook is unusable if you have many rules
- Eudora is becoming a memory & CPU hog
- I'm trying Pegasus right now, but it too seems to have issues with heavy email processing...

Are there any other options with good support for multiple email accounts and heavy rules processing?

(Win2k, btw)

Philo

Philo
Monday, June 02, 2003

What's the problem with Outlook rules, apart from the fact that they are a pain to set up (and you can forget using them for spam filtering).

Ary you using Outlook to connect directly to the ISP, or are you looking for a solution for a corporate site?

Stephen Jones
Monday, June 02, 2003

They're a pain to set up
You can't use them for spam filtering
They use the application thread (can't do anything while downloading mail)
They are dog slow when you have many rules (I had about 40 rules and Outlook 2k & XP would take 5-10 minutes to process my mail)

Philo

Philo
Monday, June 02, 2003

Well, I use Mozilla for mail, alternately you could try Mozilla Thunderbird (thought it's still in early development.)

It handles multiple accounts quite well. I really don't have a lot of rules set, so I'm not sure how it will handle a large number of rules.

pete
Monday, June 02, 2003

squirrelmail?

I've stopped using client based e-mail altogether, and @ work I take what they give me.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 02, 2003

Bloomba  -- http://www.bloomba.com -- looks very interesting, but I haven't used it much. I still use Eudora, but am looking for alternatives (ruling out Outlook, because that is what all virus writers target).

Harvey Motulsky
Monday, June 02, 2003

I tired pocomail a while ago and thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.pocomail.com/features.html

I haven't looked at it in years though.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 02, 2003

I use mozilla myself, although I don't have many rules (like < 10) and only two accounts (although, as someone else said, it supposedly has very good support for multiple accounts).

I'm afraid of outlook. :(

Steven C.
Monday, June 02, 2003

be afraid be very afraid.

I know someone who worked for (insert name of a a dotcom where you (my best william shatner imitation) can... buy things... at.... a discount) and told us the story of the time a virus took over everyone's computers, except for the programmers who were all on Linux.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 02, 2003

You should try The Bat ( www.ritlabs.com ).

It has an amazing rules engine, it's fully threaded (checks all your accounts in parallel), and it ignores active content and linked images, so it's inmune to email viruses and webbugs.

It's not free although. It's just cheap.

One disadvantage:
- It doesn't allow you to write html emails (or rich text emails)

One advantage:
- It doesn't allow you to write html emails (or rich text emails)

;)

Ricardo
Monday, June 02, 2003

I use Calypso, which generally runs very well and handles large volume and largish email sets, 127Mb at the moment.

Simon Lucy
Monday, June 02, 2003

It does suffer from the non-threading of downloads though.

Simon Lucy
Monday, June 02, 2003

Forte' "Agent", the registered version of the free news client called "Free Agent", is a good product.

It has absolutely no problem with huge lists of email handling rules.  I probably have 150-200 email rules and Agent is still zippy with downloading and filing incoming mail.

Another benefit is that Agent is a threaded email client. As long as your email correspondents reply to your original message and don't edit the subject line, messages can be displayed in a threaded tree view (or in a flat view, your choice.)

And Agent doesn't appear to choke on really huge folders of messages, numbering in the tens of thousands total.

The cons are: not Outlook compatible, no scripting (rats! :-) ); no built in attachment support - HTML and graphics must be viewed by spawning a browser instance. Oh, the version I am running (1.93) does not support more than one POP server per instance of Agent. Yes, you can support multiple POP servers, by running agent from separate data directories. But you have to duplicate and manage multiple folder and filter instances.

In many ways, Agent feels like a legacy DOS character mode application ported to Windows. In positive as well as negative ways. The positives have outweighed the negatives so far. I would say that Agent is ripe for a usability overhaul, but it's still fine.
Lastly, Agent has been very reliable for me. I have never lost email due to a file system problem. My last experience with Eudora (4.0) was losing 1/2 a folder of messages because the index for the folder became corrupt. VERY sloppy and negligent programming on their part.... since when did the index of a database become the point of reference for it? Because of this "betrayal" I refuse to consider Eudora.

Bored Bystander
Monday, June 02, 2003

I auditioned Free Agent as a newsreader when I was having troubles with my newsreader... It seemed fast and powerful, but the UI was very "Windows 3.1" and I didn't find it intuitive... But that's the price you pay.

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 02, 2003

Outlook + Cloudmark for spam blocking.

pb
Tuesday, June 03, 2003

TheBat! - using it for almost 5 years and never needed an Outlook or anything else.

http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/index.html

Evgeny Goldin
Tuesday, June 03, 2003

Oh, btw - multiply accounts and rules processing are used heavily in TheBat! - I have 3 accounts and tens of rules. It's usability is awesome.

Evgeny Goldin
Tuesday, June 03, 2003

I personally don't have any problems with Outlook Express.

John Topley
Tuesday, June 03, 2003

Another vote for The Bat. Works great.

Ros
Tuesday, June 03, 2003

Outlook with Nelson Email Organizer. Then you won't need rules in Outlook at all.

Greg
Tuesday, June 03, 2003

I use outlook's rules to filter messages into folders.  The spam removal happens on my mail server.  I'm not having any problems with Outlook's rules being too slow.

w.h.
Tuesday, June 03, 2003

One thing about Outlook is that it processes its rules sequentially.

Now I presume that once it has applied one rule to the mail it stops checking for all others, but I'm not sure.

Still, it should be worth Philo's while seeing if he gets a speed increase by changing the order of the rules, putting those that effect the greatest nimber of messages at the beginning.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, June 03, 2003

Stephen - already did that. :-)
I have about 40 rules, and there's something about the way Outlook processes rules that just slows it to a crawl. In addition, IIRC from when you click "check mail" until it's done with all the processing, the mail client is completely unresponsive.

Trust me - I tried Outlook2k and then XP for eight months. It has other issues too, but those may be based on my preference for Eudora.

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, June 03, 2003

Actually Outlook's advantages are much clearer in a corporate envirnment than as a stand-alone mail client.

It does have these advantages as a stand-alone client.
1. The ability to delete attachments from messages
2. The ability to search for all messages to and from one contact by clicking on activities in the contact card.
3. Easier to migrate mail store from one machine to another because you are simply moving one file, instead of separate files as you do with Outlook Express.

They were sufficient to persuade me to change my home machne over from Outlook Express, but then I have Office already installed on both home machines anyway.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, June 03, 2003

Eudora had one feature that I found amazingly useful:

It stored attachments as the native file, separate from the mail store.

So I could:
a) Find attached files directly by browsing the attachments directory
b) Browse all my email files at once
c) Clean out my email quickly by browsing the attachments directory and nuking the obviously stupid stuff (dell winmail*.dat)

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, June 03, 2003

It's probably best just to nuke attachments after you've saved them. Problem is you're lazy, and before you know it you have half a days cleaning on your hands.

Stephen Jones
Wednesday, June 04, 2003

I like The Bat! a lot.

You can find it at http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/

It's an excellent e-mail client. The UI is not as flashy as Outlook's, but it packs a lot of power.

I store over 30,000 messages in it now, and it is still very fast.

I used it for several years.

John K.
Tuesday, July 01, 2003

One poster stated that Outlook (not Outlook Express) has some advantages:

> 1. The ability to delete attachments from
> messages

The Bat! from RIT Labs can do this, also.

> 2. The ability to search for all messages
> to and from one contact by clicking on
> activities in the contact card.

In The Bat!, you can do this in 2 different ways:

- ALT+Click on a sender (in the message list), and you will only see messages from that sender

- use the regular "search" feature

The first feature is very good and works in all message lists and with all columns.

For example, you can ALT+Click on a certain subject to see only messages with that subject.

Also, ALT+Click in the attachment column to only see messages that have, or don't have attachments.

The Bat! also offers a threaded view.

> 3. Easier to migrate mail store from one machine
> to another because you are simply moving one file,
> instead of separate files as you do with Outlook
> xpress.

In The Bat!, it is very clear which files you have to backup.

You can change the directory where it stores the message base.

Also, in Tools, it has the Backup, Restore and Syncronize options, which enable you to make a backup of the entire message base, configuration and address book.

You can ask it to make a compressed or encrypted (password protected) backup, if you wish to.

I am downloading Bloomba now, to see how good it is.

I hope it's good. They chose a horrible name for the app.

John K.
Tuesday, July 01, 2003

can THE BAT do IMAP ? seems no

frank
Tuesday, April 20, 2004

All you needs are in THE BAT email reader.
I've been using it for a year..  Tiny look, but powerful. Pararel "email Retrieval".. Thats way i love it (for low speed internet connection).. Backup, Unlimited folder. Each folder can save by ONE single file.. (minimize hug file size and minimize file corruption.)

IWAN's
Saturday, May 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home