Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How should a nondesigner address a portfolio site?

I'm finishing up a website/portal that I plan to put on my resume. I've done 100% of the work (database, business layer, presentation layer) *except* that the initial designs were by a graphic artist in photoshop (implemented by me in .Net).

How would you explain this to a potential employer? Would you try to explain it in the resume, or just wait until the interview?

Philo

Philo
Friday, May 30, 2003

I think you'd tell them that these were the sites you worked on & show them - screencaps or links might work. You should keep screencaps for resume's in case the site changes drastically, though a current link can still work if the underlying structure is still the one you worked on.

The fact that you worked on an amazon.com instead of a varsitybooks.com still speaks volumes about who you are, and who thinks you're valuable.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, May 31, 2003

I wouldn't let it out until the interview... and then I'd beat the interviewer with a sack full of rusty doorknobs.

Guy Incognito
Saturday, May 31, 2003

Go Gray.

If you are the best, and have experience behind you.. Brag about it.. Say "This is what I've done, you could be next!"

Otherwise, go gray. diminished; it'll make the work you've done (presumably colour) stand out.

Show snapshots of your work, 12-15 seconds apart and in your sequence put a thought half way between between each shot in a bright colour.

Do you want the music too or what?

Goes something like this:
1>Screen dark.. Sample 1 fades in from background.
2>Just before solid visible, a deep base note, and a pause
3>Text comes on.. It's a question... (ie. 'Would you hire this guy'?)
4>Pictura fades out while viewer is wondering about last question.
5>Picture 2 comes in, a little faster. More vibrant colours, as if to answer the question.
6>Say something solid about yourself (ie. 'He can do it!')

I don't want to go on.. (yea yea your welcome), but the point is with space between each picture.. You still have a 10 minute presentation between each shot.

Unlike flipping through a scrap book.. Consider the viewer's emotion between each shot. Emotion is the #2 inspiration for a purchase.

I once heard "It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubts!"

Kent Design4Effect
Saturday, May 31, 2003

Just say you are not a designer.

J.
Saturday, May 31, 2003

Websites should be addressed by "http://" by designers and nondesigners alike.

But really, just put on the resume the work that you did on the site. That's the purpose of the resume. So if you designed the business layer and the database then write that's what you did.

Clutch Cargo
Saturday, May 31, 2003

Uh, Mark and Kent, I'm not sure you understood the question (since both your suggestions highlight the one part of the website I *didn't* do)

Website/portal contract gets signed.
Graphic artist spends a weekend laying out 3-4 screen mockups for the site in Photoshop.
I then spend three months building the database, business layer, and website, all the functionality, proximity searches, admin and maintenance sections, pricing program browsing and maintenance, scheduling calendar, document storage, full-text searching, etc, etc, etc.

I fully intend to link to both the .com site *and* a fully functional demo on my own website.

My only question, in the interests of truth in advertising - I'm not a graphic artist, and I don't want anyone who hires me to think I did 100% of this site. I only did 97%, but that other 3% is incredibly critical.

Thinking about it, I think I might put get the artist's permission and put something like:

*Sole developer on www.domain.com. (Graphic design by John Doe)

Philo

Philo
Saturday, May 31, 2003

Philo - yeah, it kinda sucks.

I guess the alternative would be to list the domain names / parent companies, and describe your duties there without a photo.

But, I still think a picture is worth a thousand words and if have a link or screencap, it can show off the depth & complexity of your work. Sure you didn't do the design work, but did you create an online store with 3 products, or an online store with 5,000 products? They may have questions about your work that you can't anticipate, so having a link allows them to look at it first hand.

You can say that you created an online bookstore that would make recommendations based on what you browsed, but they're not going to quite understand the depth of it until they see amazon.com.

Or, you can treat it like any other development job and say "I worked on MS Excel. My duties were....." and it's their problem if they don't have MS Office to look at it.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, May 31, 2003

Philo,

The experience of working with graphic artists is a plus, not a negative.

On the resume:

"Sole architect and developer of all funtionality: proximity searches, admin and maintenance sections, pricing program browsing and maintenance, scheduling calendar, document storage, full-text searching. Implemented Model-View-Controller architecture in VB.NET. Designed database schema. Worked with graphic artists from initial concept to integration of design artifacts into final product. Initial version went live in 3 months."

On the portfolio website:

" Here's my last project. It's 100% my own work, except graphic design by [insert name here]." (Provide a link, which will earn big points and maybe some work from the designer)

Jim S.
Saturday, May 31, 2003

Yes, I agree..

Take credit for a good designer not a good design..

Kent Design4Effect
Saturday, May 31, 2003

Don't put 'Sole Developer', sounds too self centered. Just put DEVELOPER.. noone will care whether or not you drew it.

Kent Design4Effect
Saturday, May 31, 2003

C'mon Philo, lets see the damn thing!! Don't be bashful

Give us the URL, maybe you'de be better off not mentioning it (hahaha)

Kent Design4Effect
Saturday, May 31, 2003

It's not my site to unveil. We're delivering it to the client next week, and I don't think it's my place to publicly post the URL to the website in development prior to customer acceptance.

Once they go live and it's on their domain.com, I'll happily post the final URL. :-)

Philo

Philo
Saturday, May 31, 2003

Philo, almost every decision maker in this area understands that artwork is an add-on to the main task. If you say you built the site, they should understand what you mean.

It's like house architects saying they designed a building; no-one presumes they did the actual painting of the colours.

To emphasise the points, you could, as you propose, roll out the main functionalities you provided, and just not refer to the artwork. I don't think it's an issue.

Must be a manager
Saturday, May 31, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home