Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Is Bangalore a brand in itself?

Hi,
I am conducting a research on branding of software parks worldwide.Suggestions and opinions on the following is highly appreciated.
1. What comes first to your mind when you think of Bangalore city?
2. Is Bangalore a high-tech city?
3. Why the elite software companies like Microsoft, IbM are located in Bangalore

Smith
Wednesday, May 28, 2003

1. Silicon Valley v2.0
2. Yes
3. Smart people. Low cost.

John Rosenberg
Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Yes it is...

sumit
Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Could you provide me with some of the names of these software parks that are located throughout the world?

Answers to your questions.

1. Poverty.
2. Yes, I suppose. Most Americans would probably respond to this question by saying "Bangalore city is located where?"
3. Plenty of inexpensive English speaking labor.

One Programmer's Opinion
Thursday, May 29, 2003

At the moment it's like one of those theme parks where the tumbleweeds will blow in the breeze in 15 years time.

Realist
Thursday, May 29, 2003

These links may be helpful to learn more about Bangalore and Indian IT
http://www.bangaloreit.com
http://www.nasscom.org/

Steve
Thursday, May 29, 2003

Branding of  "software parks" is precisely that, sticking a name on something. And in many cases we are actually talking about "copy-cat" branding, equivalent to the false Rolexes and Levi jeans you find in so many places.

The phenomenum of silicon valley was in existence long before the name, indeed it pre-dated the use of silicon by many years as well. I presume at first it was the proximity of cheap real estate and the proximity of the university, and then the concentration of electronics firms created its own dynamic.

Bangalore was not branding either. South India has a large number of people for whom English is a second language because Hindi is an Indo-Aryan language and the languages of South India are dravidian. Alos throughout the Indian sub-continent English is a medium of insruction in universities. You then have the existence of the elite technical schools set up by Nehru, and the existence of a large Indian diaspora, the fact that programming is not capital intensive to learn, and the result is the possiblity of a software industry. I would suspect that there were plenty of other places it could have grown apart from Bangalore but as with silicon valley the combination probably would have been a combination of proximity to the university, low real estate prices for the services involved, and the usual dynamic of companies already starting up there.

Silicon Fen in the UK is based on the proximity of the University of Cambridge, the first college of which was founded in 1256, after the invention of the abacus but still predating the invention of the computer.

Attempts to consciously create a "software village" don't work that well. Dubai's "Internet City" as mentioned in an earlier thread , is a glorified shopping mall. and Malaysias' "Internet Corridor" is staffed by Indian programmers whom the Malayasian government then rounds up en bloc as illegal immigrants and holds 24 hours in the police station. Both areas probable centralize the host countries IT to some extent, but neither appear to attract significant outside work.

There were advantages only a few years ago to dexlaring an area a hi-tech zone. It meant that communication resources such as broadband and fiber optic MAN'scould be concentrated in one area. For less developed countries it was also sending the message that their government was interested in attracting IT investment.

Broadband is now fairly ubiquitious in much of the developed world, which probably explains why we don't hear of new software villages in Europe, Japan and Korea (France incidentally does have on near the French Alps - helped I believe by the proximity of the Aerospace industry - so if there are any cheese-eating surrender monkey lovers here who like skiing it's worth giving it a lookin).

Stephen Jones
Thursday, May 29, 2003

Don't forget that india is in a fairly unique timezone (for english speakers). Makes it really attractive for first-line tech support. Also, several years of cheap outsourced development is building up its national expertise in software. i.e. they are becoming competitive in ability on its own merits, not just ability/price ratio.

Richard
Thursday, May 29, 2003

The French technical park is called Sophia Antipolis, and it is on the Cote d'Azure, just outside Nice. Very nice weather and stunning ski-ing and climbing.

However, if you look at French job websites, you will find most job opportunities are in the Ile de France (the greater Paris area). Shame really, because it is flat, has no snow, and crap weather. Oh well, might as well stay in the M4 corridor in the UK!

regards, treefrog

treefrog
Thursday, May 29, 2003

> they are becoming competitive in ability on its own merits, not just ability/price ratio

Sure. If you believe that.

Thursday, May 29, 2003

"1. What comes first to your mind when you think of Bangalore city?"

Having been in the U.S. Army, the first thing that always pops into my mind is the Bangalore Torpedo:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/bangalore.htm

RocketJeff
Thursday, May 29, 2003

So what is this, Mr "Smith" -- not really an anonymous Western name by the way, Smith -- each week we pop in some innoccuous question that just happens to push the Indian software industry.

Do you work for Nasscom?

Friday, May 30, 2003

The guy is probably doing a thesis and trying to do a little free research. Nothing wrong with that.

I really doubt if NAsscom is going to be interested in pushing its case through anonymous posters on the JOS forum. Unless you think every question about silicon valley or NYC  or Microsoft icomes form moles in the Department of Commerce.

Stephen Jones
Friday, May 30, 2003

1:) Power Outages, Water Shortages and General Strikes

2:)Not with the number of infrastructure issues I heard of. Most of the big companies there have onsite emergency generators from what I hear.

3:) Cheap Educated Labor....

My former supervisor spent a week in Bangalore three months ago and I get aleast weekly emails from a development team their.  This is the impression I got from them.

A Software Build Guy
Friday, May 30, 2003

Now I raised the question of infrastructure about four months ago, and people in Mumbai (Walter) and Bangalore) claimed it wasn't too much of a problem. Of course if they'd already bought the generators!

The question of poor infrastructure is one I have raised before. When the new government got into power in Sri Lanka it promised an end to the power cuts caused by the ongoing droughts (which if you keep in touch with the news has ended spectacularly). Accordingly they arranged for oil generators to take up the slack from the hydro-electric power stations, and upped the price of electricity accordinlgy.

Yet for differing reasons I would reckon I have still been without electricity one day a week. And the phone line goes dead once or twice a year (and remember I am only there three months a year).

If you plan ahead you can probably allow for these factors; for example in Sri Lanka, and presumably Bangalore, you can get a two way satellite internet connection as a fail safe for the telephone one, but you do need to factor the cost in.

Add to this the difficutly of carrying out normal business propositions  caused by the idea that a westerner is there to be ripped off and it does mean that there is not yet the agility you have in other locations.

Which is probably good news for American and European developers!

Stephen Jones
Friday, May 30, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home