Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Case Studies for Design of Client/Server Systems?

We're working on a .NET project for what is, in reality, pretty much your basic run of the mill client/server system. I've been looking for books and articles that describe case studies describing a design process for a complex system using the UML in the design process.  Unfortunately, it seems like 90% of the books and articles that include case studies are talking about Web apps, which are really too simplistic to tell me what I need to know.

For those books and articles that DO discuss "old and boring" client/server systems, they seem to include only bits and pieces of the design of the system, or they are old enough that they do not use UML for their diagrams. I'm looking for a complete, top-to-bottom, "here's how the system was designed, and here are UML diagrams illustrating ALL aspects of the system" type of book or article.

What would be PERFECT is a case study that involves a multi-user accounting system. Our system is a multi-user system that involves cost calculations, so in many ways, it's similar to an accounting system. We're looking for case studies to help get the creative juices flowing when evaluating the best way to assemble our application using an object-oriented domain model persisted to a relational database.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Saturday, May 24, 2003

I forgot to add: it's a Winforms app, which is why the Web stuff really doesn't apply too well.

Dave
Saturday, May 24, 2003

Aside from being stateful rather than stateless, the concepts are the same. Check out:

Applying UML and patterns, by Craig Larman

Steve
Saturday, May 24, 2003

Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture?

Haven't read it, but might be worth investigating given the limited number of responses you've received.

victim, jr.
Saturday, May 24, 2003

The most intelligent and useful book on UML applied to  development I've read is Using UML. Software engineering with objects and components by Perdita Stevens and Rob Pooley published by Addison Wesley.

Simon Lucy
Sunday, May 25, 2003

This book might help:

Building Client/Server Applications Under .NET: An Example-Driven Approach
by Jeff Levinson, Steven J. Houglum

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1590590708/qid=1053883828/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-5943199-1404941

Himanshu Nath
Sunday, May 25, 2003

Wow.  Thanks for all of the prompt feedback!  I will examine each of these titles to see what I information I can take away from each.

Himanshu: Does this book take an approach of using business entity classes for the construction of the business logic layer, or does it profess the use of datasets throughout all the layers?

Dave
Sunday, May 25, 2003

Nevermind! I was able to locate the detailed table of contents on the publisher's Web site. Looks like it takes an approach that is very close to what we're envisioning.

Thanks for the tip!

Dave
Sunday, May 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home