Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

The Matrix

The idea behind the Matrix movies is compatible with various mystical beliefs and also with the contemporary science of digital physics.
When I listened to the Donald Knuth religion lectures I got the impression that he agrees with this kind of mystical/scientific philosophy, even though he practices a traditional Western religion (Christianity).

If you haven't heard of digitial physics, the idea was started by Ed Fredkin, who created the cellular automata Life game in the 60s.

Of course in the Matrix movies "reality" is created by evil machines who are using humans for energy, etc. However, at the end of Matrix Reloaded you get the impression that the reality outside the matrix is another matrix on a higher level (because Neo winds up having special powers there also).

I definitely believe our multiverse is made of information. I think there are many alternate universes/realities on many levels.

The Real PC
Saturday, May 24, 2003

Check out the philosophy section of the matrix website:
http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/rl_cmp/phi.html

My brother wrote an interesting article there:
"What's So Bad About Living In The Matrix" - James Pryor

http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/rl_cmp/new_phil_pryor.html

Michael H. Pryor
Saturday, May 24, 2003

yes, sure, based on deep philosophic beliefes. The dumbed-down, pop version of those. Come on. Machines need humans for electricity?!?

Last episode, however, provided an interesting twist (stop reading here if you haven't seen it), we'll have to see if it gets exploited. Neo being able to zing out machines in the "real" world could provide the interesting solution of that being the matrix as well. And then it could be more fun. But they're probably going to miss it.

Dimitri.
Saturday, May 24, 2003

ObSpoilerWarning...

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole 'electricity from humans' thing were part of the Matrix as well. Rebels need something to rebel against...

Chris Winters
Saturday, May 24, 2003

The REAL Matrix: http://www.simulation-argument.com/

Saturday, May 24, 2003

"Of course in the Matrix movies "reality" is created by evil machines who are using humans for energy, etc."

Define "evil." I have my own definition of evil, but I'd be interested in disovering WHY you think the machines are evil.

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, May 24, 2003

PS, I'm organizing a little outing to the IMAX version in NYC.

http://www.marktaw.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=24&t=24

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, May 24, 2003

OH yeah... I read the original script of the first movie (available all over the web http://www.google.com/search?q=Baulliaurd ).

MORPHEUS
They discovered a new form of
fusion.  All that was required to
initiate the reaction was a small
electric charge.  Throughout human
history we have been dependent on
machines to survive.  Fate, it
seems, is not without a sense of
irony.

The human body generates more bio-
electricity than a 120-volt
battery and over 25,000 B.T.U.'s
of body heat.

We are, as an energy source,
easily renewable and completely
recyclable, the dead liquified and
fed intravenously to the living.

All they needed to control this
new battery was something to
occupy our mind.

And so they built a prison out of
our past, wired it to our brains
and turned us into slaves.

If you ask me, the brilliant thing the Wachowski brothers did was refuse to give interviews. Everyone conjecturs and sees things they want to see, reading much further into the movie than they could've intended. A lot of the so-called symbolism everyone sees in the first Matrix was missing from this original script. Also the second half of the movie is very different, and IMHO not as good in the script... I think that the 2nd movie could've used some additions that the first movie seems to have gotten. Perhaps the extra freedom the Wachowski Brothers may have been given, coupled with the extreme pressure to perform left some of the refinements out?

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, May 24, 2003

[Define "evil." I have my own definition of evil, but I'd be interested in disovering WHY you think the machines are evil.]

As you know, it's hard to define evil in a way that everyone will agree with.
Here is my own (in progress) definition:
Evil has to be defined in terms of the perspective of the observer. If I consider something evil, from my own perspective, that's because it has no consideration or compassion for me. It might be using me (as the machines in the Matrix used humans), or I might be in its way.
By this definition, nature can seem evil to humans during natural disasters.
During a war, the enemy may seem evil, because they want to destroy us and have little or no concern for us. A rapist seems evil to his victim, because he is using her against her will.
An evil force or being has its own motivations and does not care about the health, happiniess, or motivations of its victims. It is therefore a potentially lethal force.
Sociopaths can be evil because they don't feel the natural compassion and affinity with others than normal human beings feel. Our natural empathy prevents us from wanting to harm others of our species, and often other species as well.
From the perspective of bug being trampled on, a human being may be evil.

The Real PC
Sunday, May 25, 2003

http://www.ee.bilkent.edu.tr/ge301/matrixfilm.txt

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/24/arts/24MATR.html?ex=1054440000&en=273d89e8d6f2400a&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, May 25, 2003

"Define 'evil'."

Philisophical assistance for your dilemma:

"The standard by which one judges what is good or evil is man's life, or: that which is required for man's survival qua man. Since reason is man's basic means of survival, that which is proper to the life of a rational being is the good; that which negates, opposes or destroys it is the evil."

[...]

"Thinking is man's only basic virtue, from which all the others proceed. And his basic vice, the source of all his evils, is the act of blanking out, the willful suspension of one's consciousness, the refusal to think--not blindness, but the refusal to see; not ignorance, but the refusal to know. It is the act of unfocusing your mind and inducing an inner fog to escape the responsibility of judgment, on the unstated premise that a thing will not exist if only you refuse to identify it, that A will not be A so long as you do not pronounce the verdict 'It is.' "

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, May 25, 2003

I think the important question is: which programming language did the Architect guy use to create the Matrix?

Daniel S
Monday, May 26, 2003

> I think the important question is: which programming
> language did the Architect guy use to create the Matrix?

You must've missed the part where the Archiect is a program himself. Obviously he used machine language.

Speaking of programs writing programs... JOS mirrors The Matrix.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, May 26, 2003

Well then it must have been LISP

Daniel S
Monday, May 26, 2003

Ah... that explains why he's proud of the elegance, but impractical nature of the orginal Matrix.

"The original Matrix was a work of art. Written in Lisp. But people rejected. I was forced to re-write it in Visual Basic, and it gained widespread acceptance."

www.marktaw.com
Monday, May 26, 2003

HAHAHA!  That's terrific :)

anon
Monday, May 26, 2003

For us XP weenies who dislike Big Design Up-Front, it's fun that the evil man in the white coat turns around and pronounces, "I am...the ARCHITECT."

Brent P. Newhall
Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Would it have been better if he pronounced 'I am the Middle Manager who keeps all the Rational Rose Use Cases for posterity.'

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, May 28, 2003

And then went on "According to Use Case #27 _In the event of the One Becoming Self Aware_ you are supposed to have the following reactions: Anger, Fear, Pity, and then Love for the humanity of The Matrix. I see I must update it to take into account romantic love.."

In Revolutions we get the same speech except now it's

"According to Use Case #27a _In the event of the One Becoming Self Aware Appended for Neo Anderson_ you are supposed to have the following reactions: Anger, Fear, Pity, and then either Love for Humanity, or Romantic love for an individual."

www.MarkTAW.com
Wednesday, May 28, 2003

That "I am the ARCHITECT" line made me laugh out loud in the theater.  My wife wondered what was so funny...

Ray
Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Tixx are on sale now.

http://www.fandango.com/my_box_office.asp?page=&remotefilter=&theaternamefilter=&distance=30&from=&refresh_date=6/7/2003

I've got tickets for the June 7, 7:15pm show of you want to join us.

Dinner will be at the Houlihans (?) a couple of blocks south of the theater immediately following the show.

RSVP here so I can make reservations.

http://www.marktaw.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=24&t=24

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, May 31, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home