Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What makes a developer "attractive"

Recent studies show that if you take a group of people, and "blend" them together, the result is more attractive than any of the original ones.
http://www.beautycheck.de/english
Can we apply the same logic to developers? I'm not talking physical beauty here of course, but attractiveness in terms of "would you hire ths programmer".
Would the so called "superstars" fair worse than a morped mix of all the rest of us? It could surely for instance blur out some of the prima-donna cockiness (or is this a universal developer trade ;-)). While maybe toning down the hard-core skills, it might compensate by getting an overal more likable and less treathening XP partner?
What do you think? Is gold to be found in the middle or at the edges?

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, May 23, 2003

No idea about your question, but I thought those averaged/blended faces were pretty unattractive. If a face doesn't have something that makes it stand out then I don't give it a second glance. Maybe I'm just weird.

Friday, May 23, 2003

Coming back to your question, you always need "superstars" and "grafters". There is not enough work on a project so that everyone can do the highly complicated "sexxy" stuff, even if _someone_ has to.

Friday, May 23, 2003

cheap, fast, & good.

victim, jr.
Friday, May 23, 2003

Choose 2.

Ged Byrne
Friday, May 23, 2003

on every project I have been on there are 2 guys who do the work and 8 guys who do nothing. If any of those 8 guys are actually good, they leave and become one of the 2 guys at another shop.

Friday, May 23, 2003

and which 2 guys get promoted to management?

old-timer
Friday, May 23, 2003

So... are you 1 of 2, or 1 or 8?

Nat Ersoz
Friday, May 23, 2003

So... are you 1 of 2, or 1 or 8?

I contract now and am 1 of 1.

Friday, May 23, 2003

What makes a developer attractive?  Big Boobs.

(Oh, come on!  It's tasteless, but I know I wasn't the only one thinking it.)

Nick
Friday, May 23, 2003

Anybody else remember the Conan O'Brien "What if ... and ... had a baby?" sketches?

Jim Rankin
Friday, May 23, 2003

1. The composite face, while not 'very beautiful', was more attractive than the individual faces.

2. This is a project that was done by German students. Pretty impressive student project I'd say.

3. Richard bach used to believe that the perfect woman was a composite of many different women, a theory he used to justify his outlandish womanizing before he found the perfect woman and settled down when she made it clear she would not tolerate his personal harem theory.

4. Companies treat developers like they are concubines in a slave harem.

Tony Chang
Friday, May 23, 2003

Richard Bach as in "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" and "Nothing By Chance?"

Karl Perry
Saturday, May 24, 2003

Jonathon Livingston Seagull.  My god, what memories.  I'm going to have to buy it.

victim, jr.
Saturday, May 24, 2003

Yes! And also "Illusions - The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah" (extremely highly recommended) and "A Bridge Across Forever", where he talks about meeting his wife and settling down. Recommended if you're a softie at heart like me. (Needed to counterbalance all the smart-alecky.)

Tony Chang
Sunday, May 25, 2003

> Jonathon Livingston Seagull.  My god, what memories.
> I'm going to have to buy it.

I saw a recent Guinness Book of Records (maybe the y2k edition) and it said Jonathan Livingston Seagull was the best selling book besides the bible.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, May 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home