Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Resolution conflict on Fujitsu Laptop

I have this mate who has a Fujitsu laptop. I formatted it because it had a boot sector virus, and reinstalled windows xp home edition from the recovery cd. All is well,  but when I installed the video drivers, things went wrong. The screen has a blur which is piercing to the eyes. So sharpness is lacking. I've tried updating drivers and even tried the default xp drivers, with no luck whatsoever. To reduce the hazy blur, the resolution of the screen is set to 1280x1024. Which is an unrealistic setting for
a 14/15" screen. A friend was saying it could be the LCD drivers.
Any advice would be welcome to resolve this conflict.
The video card is a
ATI RAGE MOBILITY PCI(ENGLISH)
and the laptop is a FUJITSU C6632

Thanks

Malik
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Try setting it to 1400 x 1050.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, May 22, 2003

This is very much the wrong forum for this type of question. Go over to ZDNet and find the forums there and ask on one of the general forums such as Computer Cures.

But first go to the Fujitsu site and see what it says. And also try the ATI site.

But why are you trying to reinstall the drivers anyway. Doesn't the Fujistsu come with a recovery disk that is basically a ghosted image that restores the system as it was before?

Stephen Jones
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Rewriting the master boot record/sector is a simple task under windows.  The FDisk utility does this.  At a command prompt type fdisk /mbr.  This rewrites the master boot record/sector.  No need to format, but for some reason people feel more comfortable formatting the hard drive, which is understandable in certain situations.

Dave B.
Thursday, May 22, 2003

You probably already know this, but an LCD screen has a native resolution; if you set any other resolution, the display image has to be scaled to fit on the screen. Is 1280x1024 the native resolution of the screen?

Roel Schroeven
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Based on what I've read, this is a much more useful and substantive question than the vast majority of posts.

Agreed, you want to set the resolution to the "native" resolution of the LCD panel.  Anything else will give you very poor results.

Nat Ersoz
Thursday, May 22, 2003

---"this is a much more useful and substantive question than the vast majority of posts."---

That's why I said it was the wrong forum :)

Stephen Jones
Thursday, May 22, 2003

There ya go...  :)

Nat Ersoz
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Are you sure you're using the right driver. You mention a PCI driver but it should be an AGP driver accoriding to the Fujitsu site.

This is the link to download the driver.
http://www.fujitsu-pc-asia.com/support/drv_lb_c6632_6592.html

The native resolution is XGA, which I think is 1024 x 768

Post back when you find the solution to let ius know what happened

Stephen Jones
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Woops! Somewhere geve me the wrong details. The antive resolution is in fact 1400 x 1050 Super XGA+

The fact sheet, http://www.fujitsu-pc-asia.com/products/pdf/factsheet_lb_c6632c6592.pdf which I have just got to download does not mention XP as the OS, but I have seen it advertises with XP pre-installed so presumably the fact sheet is out of date. The link in the previous post gives the drivers though.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, May 22, 2003

damn, you might have a point Stephen. I might have used the agp instead of the pci, as i've been to this page before. But then again, they don't have pci displayed there either. But even when i do use the drivers that came with the utilities cd, there is no difference. I need to set the res. at 1024x768, however when that is done currently, the pixels look horrible as well as that dreadful blur that you could be forgiven for thinking you've had one drink too many :)
ps what is the actual purpose of this forum?.

Malik
Thursday, May 22, 2003

"ps what is the actual purpose of this forum?."

see http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/ near the top of the page.

P.S. I am beginning to warm to the fact that there are realy questions that should not be answered ;-)

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, May 22, 2003

haha, yep, really detailed explanation of the forum at the top there:).
But anyway, this does not subtract from my original question. Otherwise, it will be no different from the rest of the questions on the forum :):):)

Malik
Thursday, May 22, 2003

"I need to set the resolution to 1024x768..."

As stated before, LCD panels have a "native resolution."  This is completely unlike a CRT display, whcih simply fires photons (kinda) at a mask on the backside of the display.

If you try to set the resolution to something other than the panel's native resolution, it's gonna look bad.  No questions, no arguments, it's just gonna look bad.

My 15" Dell Inspiron came with a native resolution of 1400x1050, and it's beautiful.  You can get Dells with a native resolution of 1600x1200 in a 15" display, and to me they look too small, but that's just me.  I've friends these and they love all the real-estate it gives them.

So, if you really really want to set this display to 1024x768, if that's not its native resolution your friend will have to understand that there is nothing that can be done about the unacceptable "look" of the display at that resolution.  If s/he wants a nice-looking display at 1024x768, s/he should have bought a laptop with that as its native resolution.

Karl Perry
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Karl, I see your point, but the fact was, the resolution (prior to the formatting) was always on 1024x768,,and it looked perfect. Why it wont accept it now, is a mystery to me. I'll look into the fujitsu manual tommorow, and check if it states the native resolution there.

Malik
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Malik,

What is the native resolution for this laptop?

Karl Perry
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Malik,
        I have downloaded the fact sheet for this model, and as I stated above the native resolutiion is set at 1400 x 1050. Also the graphics card is an AGP card not a PCI card. So try downloading and installing the correct driver, and also setting the resolution to 1400 x 1050.

If that doesn't work post back.

Incidentally most laptops I have had simply expand or contract tne screen size iif you alter the resolution.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Depends on the video driver as to what happens when a non-native resolution is chosen. My experience is that the default is _generaly_ stretched (and blurry) pixels, not a centered smaller image.

My Compaq uses an ATI video card, and it's selectable. How I reach it in XP:

Go to video properties, then to the Settings tab. Click "Advanced". Go to the "ATI Displays" tab, and then click the word "Panel" (it's an oddly shaped button with the upper left corner carved out of it). This brings up a Panel Properties window, which tells me that the "max supported resolution" is 1400x1050 (aka, the native resolution of the panel), and a fluffy blue checkbox titled "Scale image to panel size". Unchecking this box means lower resolution images will be small and centered (and sharp) instead of large and stretched (and blurry).

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Oh, and whether you think the resolution is too high or not, using the native resolution is the only way to effectively use the display. Choosing a lower resolution will either give you a blurry picture (WAY too hard on the eyes) or the smaller image, which is a waste of pixels (you may as well use the native panel resolution and stop wasting the pixels).

I actually find that my 15" panel at 1400x1050 is just about right, and I'm not big on high resolution. It's all a matter of how far away you sit (i.e., are you using the built-in keyboard?). I agree with others that if the resolution is the problem, you really ought to return the laptop and get something else with a lower resolution. Good luck, though. Most everything these days comes with the 1400x1050 panel if you want a 14-15" display; lower resolutions usually mean significantly smaller screens, and thus relatively similar sized pixels.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Yea, you're right.

I've never noticed the setting. It seems to me that maybe there is no problem at all. My HP Omnibook looks awful at 1024 x 768, but of course fine at its native resolution. If Malk finds it too small he could try changing to large fonts. As you said, if you are using the standard keyboard, then the 1400 x1050 resolution is about right.

Incidentally if you want to know why it looks fuzzy at non-native resolution it is because each pixel on a LCD is a physical enitity. If you change the native resolution then you have to  compensate.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, May 22, 2003

FWIW the "native resolution" thing also holds for CRT's, but they degrade less dramatic than the LCD's when mismatched.

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, May 23, 2003

How do I know what the native resolution is for a CRT? Is it on the web sites or buried somewhere deep in the paper documentation?

Stephen Jones
Friday, May 23, 2003

It is usualy labeled as the "recommended" setting in the specs.

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, May 23, 2003

hello,
My only problem with my lap-top (Fujitsu FMV-BIBLO MG9/850) is that the shortcuts do not function.
email, internet, Disc Player....etc  shortcuts.
i try to find software for this on the internet but in vain.
i have no CD afforded with Lap Top, so any help?
yusef

yusef ouidani
Monday, April 12, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home