Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Viewpoint shifts during a project

Wondering how you guys keep a consistent philosophy during different stages of a project.

Usually (or hopefully?) at the beginning you tend to a win-win scenario. Then you failed to correctly analyze the requirements, realize that you have a negative client, whatever, and at the end you hate the project and your client.

At this stage you don't care about win-win. Do you see yourself as a genuine person?

na
Thursday, May 22, 2003

No matter how interesting the project, how excellent the people working on it, there comes a time when you just wanna put a bullet in your head.

Nat Ersoz
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Not me, I usually wanna put a bullet in someone else's head.

snotnose
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Amen.

GiorgioG
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Optimism gives way to pessimism, pessimism gives way to  false optimism, false optimism gives way to "Why should I even act like I care?" which eventually turns into a fun round of blaming others and trying to escape blame oneself.  The infinite cycle of life.  I don't find it hypocritical - just ideals colliding with reality.  Perhaps the ideal project would be different, but among the projects that exist in the real world, one that's like that but fails to result in large scale homicide/unemployment is pretty good.

The real question is why we ever start another project.  Some say it's masochism.  I think it's boredom.  Or maybe it's both.

(Can anyone tell I'm nearing a release date?)

Mikayla
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Realizing before you start that change is inevitable and eventually, your neatly thought out object model will be a stinking pile of pooh is a good start.

Big B
Thursday, May 22, 2003

I have heard: 'The product ships when the engineers get tired of working on it.'

Dan Brown
Thursday, May 22, 2003

I'd also say that...

If you didn't encounter a point in the project where the pain of integration is overwhelming...

If you didn't endure the frustration of nailing the bug that only reproduces itself in the staging lab with a MTBF of 12 hours or more...

Then someone is going to have your head on a platter when the customer takes delivery.  The frustration is worth it.

Nat Ersoz
Thursday, May 22, 2003

This is where it helps to be a pessimist. If the project ever ships at all, that exceeds my expectations. :)

sgf
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Dan, or in the original Klingon:
"'Release'? Our software is never 'released.' It escapes, leaving a trail of bodies and carnage."

While trekkie-ish, I have to admit it seems very accurate...

Philo

Philo
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Project lifecycle

I have an idea, its a very small idea really but it keeps growing....

Oh this idea I've had is so cool I just love thinking about it and stroking it...

X likes the idea too

Wow, we just realised we could apply this idea to everything, its just so neat.

We had a look for competitors, can you believe it, no one has thought of this before, ever.

We just worked out the hardware and software costs and we need to find a sugar daddy, but this is so neat, world hunger solutions aren't in it.  Everyone will want a piece of this.

Y showed us some people that have done something similar but it doesn't do half the things we'll do in version 2.

We haven't found any money yet but we can prototype and it looks like it will work, still excited.  Haven't been out in a week, I must buy milk tomorrow the cat is looking thin.

Ok, so it may not be a solution for world peace, unless we can boil the ocean and have everyone convert to Sufiism on the same day, but it would be so cool if everyone just believed what we believed about this.

Well we've done a cut down editor and its quite nice, we kept the cool project name though.  I'm going to add email tomorrow.

The day job doing ASP forms has stopped me doing anything much on the project but its something I'd like to get back to one day.

I noticed Microsoft released a product just like that idea I once had, its broken though it doesn't do half the things it could do...

Simon Lucy
Friday, May 23, 2003

Great post Simon (or is it Lucy?). So true!

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, May 23, 2003

Its only Lucy to the people that used to cane me.

Lucy Simon is Carly Simon's sister and a composer and musician, unfortunately I'm neither.

Simon Lucy
Friday, May 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home