Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

matter of time

It;s a matter of time before the girls catch up with the boys in CS, don't u think so?

http://www.businessweek.com:/print/magazine/content/03_21/b3834001_mz001.htm?mz

gila
Thursday, May 22, 2003

I wish theyd hurry up...Im getting *really* sick of staring at pasty faced, sandal & beard wearing geeks all day...Id love to be working with 'the gals' instead...

FullNameRequired
Thursday, May 22, 2003

..thats assuming that 'the gals' wont be pasty faced & bearded of course...

FullNameRequired
Thursday, May 22, 2003

One of my female friends is a better programmer than just about anyone else I know in our age bracket.

She's not pasty faced or bearded, she's actually quite attractive.

But, she hated her job so much that she quit to become a teacher. She's also one of two female programmers I know in a sea of... well dozens.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, May 22, 2003

In the fast decline of discipline and respect in the classroom and in society in general boys are served a double whammy.
Firstly, in absence of a rigorously enforced hierarchy where the teacher is the top dog ruthlessly oppressing every dominance challenge, the boys are >expected< to challenge each and every position in an instinctive pecking order fight.
The knock on effect this has is where boys are notoriously bad at multitasking. Even if they wanted to those that are trying to focus on things more sophisticated than the general knuckle dragging behavior are constantly derailed into and distracted by the all engulfing disruption.

As I said before: A hands of policy (often in the name of "freedom" or "equality") is very unfair in asymetrical situations. It is very easy to disturb the peace nescessary for intelligence to trive. Any one fool can do it. It is impossible for the individual to create the nescessary peace. It requires the compliance of all the others.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Women may finish their CS degrees with high honors, they may well be the most talented programmers around, but as long as the "high-tech" industry standartizes on 10+ hours of work per day, you won't see many women around.

If there will be a sudden growth in the percentage of females in this industry, it will probably be followed by a sudden drop in wages, like what happend with teachers and doctors.

Veronica
Thursday, May 22, 2003

"I wish theyd hurry up...Im getting *really* sick of staring at pasty faced, sandal & beard wearing geeks all day...Id love to be working with 'the gals' instead..."

I second that...  These pasty face fellows (including myself) were all I ever saw in school and work.

Cletus
Thursday, May 22, 2003

I'd have to say that we're a good mix here - both across age and gender.  But we're an IS department that focuses on implementation, maintenance, and system integration, not application development (usually).  Perhaps that's the difference, as we have a different lifestyle (no 10+ hour days here usually).

Lou
Thursday, May 22, 2003

"but as long as the 'high-tech' industry standartizes on 10+ hours of work per day, you won't see many women around."

Except that I've had little trouble finding plenty of 8-9 a day programming jobs myself, even in NYC; and furthermore there are plenty of women associates (fewer partners) at the law firm my wife works at, even though they work positively inhuman hours.

Keith Wright
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Actually, the article says that boy dominated fields like technology and manufacturing are on the out, and that girl fields (like, everything else, I guess?), haven't been hit as hard.

So, no, it isn't likely that girls will pour into CS to even things out.

Also, did anyone else notice that we're doping up as many as 1 in 5 boys in this country?  And then wondering why they're not achieving like the girls.

Also, I think statistically with guys you get lots of outliers.  Total geniuses, but also total idiots.  Whereas girls tend to a more normal distribution.  (Or at least I read that somewhere.)  So you could still have a good part of the self made billionaires list be men, while women overtake male earning potential as a whole.

Jim Rankin
Thursday, May 22, 2003

As computing is now considerably easier than it used to be , I'm not surprised that more women are starting to get into it.

Realist
Thursday, May 22, 2003

>  as long as the "high-tech" industry standartizes on 10+ hours of work per day, you won't see many women around.

Are you saying women are lazy?

> furthermore there are plenty of women associates (fewer partners) at the law firm my wife works at, even though they work positively inhuman hours.

Do these women have kids?  Or have these barren women now made their careers their "children".

Bella
Friday, May 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home