Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Software Development Management Tool?

I am researching tools that could help my development team be more productive.  Right now we push a lot of paper around.  We are looking for a tool that comes as close to simulating our process:  a document covering a project module and a list needed changes and enhancements, a document covering each list item from the first document and a test sheet for the list items.  (I hope this conveys my thinking).

If anyone knows of a affordable tool for a dozen developers that can help us automate this process pass it along to me.  Thanks.

Chris Woodruff
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Ummmm.....  FogBugz?

Nat Ersoz
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

I don't mean to rain on your process, but why documents? These are software developers. A bug tracking system is what you sound like you should be after.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Can you more clearly define what "affordable" means?  How much are you looking to spend?

(My team uses sharepoint to keep track of stuff like that, but of course, we get sharepoint for free.)

Eric

Eric Lippert
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Hmmm...I guess the only way to get developers to work on somethning is to call it a bug.."programming is debugging a blank page/empty file" and all that. What if there were requirements, tasks, issues(bugs), all linked to a release and each other with attachments as needed. All issues and tasks would roll up to requirements and then to releases.

okay...overkill for a small team but do we really start off with bugs?

What do you still need to track outside of the system?

fool for python
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Try installing a wiki, such as TWiki (http://www.twiki.org).

Giovanni Corriga
Wednesday, May 21, 2003

Try a company called Telelogic.  They started in systems engineering - defining requirementes...linking requirements to configuration and version managment and then tools for code generation and generation of test scripts.

Software lifecycle manangement is the best way I can put it.

Rohit
Wednesday, May 21, 2003

Thanks for the Telelogic tip.  That may be what I was looking for.

Chris Woodruff
Thursday, May 22, 2003

Try iNotion from I-Logix ( www.ilogix.com ) . I am not sure what your needs are but since yu are not looking for bug tracking only, but also for documents management (and couplin documents with bugs ?) and maybe project lifecycle mngmnt, this may be the right solution for you.

I should note that am working for I-Logix.

Doron Ben-Ari
Friday, May 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home