Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Salary.com is it accurate?

A recruiter pointed me to salary.com to compare what I am making with what the going rate in my area is. 

- If you have used this is it accurate?
- If you try it now, is it close to what you make?

A contractor friend of mine took the salary range, doubled it and divided it by 1920 to get a rate/hour.  Do you think that is a good approach?

LookingForNewJob
Monday, May 19, 2003

I have found Salary.com to be pretty accurate. I've been paid less and I've been paid more, but usually pretty close to their salary ranges.

runtime
Monday, May 19, 2003

For what it's worth, Salary.com is sometimes dead-on simply because some companies have started using it as the basis for their salaries.

SomeBody
Monday, May 19, 2003

Personally, I've used it to badger my boss for a raise.

I'm now at the low end of the median for this area, which isn't too bad, as I feel that their numbers are skewed high by a couple of international companies here that pay higher than everybody else.

Steve Barbour
Monday, May 19, 2003

I've used it when moving from one location to another. I don't know if it's accurate, but my new employers had no problem with the figure I came up with.

Clutch Cargo
Monday, May 19, 2003

That's scary that people are taking those surveys seriously. They understate actual figures because the people who do the surveys tend to be more junior people who find such things interesting ( and have time. )

Monday, May 19, 2003

How DO you find out what your fair market value is?

anon
Monday, May 19, 2003

I just checked my title against my salary, and I should be getting WAAAAAY more money. :-p

Seriously, I think at the upper levels of management, the bands are pretty damn wide, so I'm not all that worried about it.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, May 19, 2003

> That's scary that people are taking those surveys
> seriously. They understate actual figures because
> the people who do the surveys tend to be more
> junior people who find such things interesting
> ( and have time. )

Not true. Salary.com bases their statistics on data reported from HR managers, not self-reported earnings from employees.

Benji Smith
Tuesday, May 20, 2003

I just tried it, and it's accurate for my job.

Brent P. Newhall
Wednesday, May 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home