Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What ever happened to "Changes in this release"?

How come it seems like most large companies don't bother with noting what drivers or BIOS patches address, or what's been fixed in software patches?
I've got some flaky monitor behavior, and I'm thinking about updating my drivers, but I really don't need to *de*stabilize my system if the latest drivers don't address anything I have to deal with.

Philo

Philo
Monday, May 19, 2003

I share your pain. I've also noticed this increasing lack of noting changes. It's caused me to skip updates in many cases.

Troy King
Monday, May 19, 2003

Just a comment, not an answer to your question, but this sort of thing is why as a QA guy, concerned with the whole SD process, I really like the value added by having version control systems integrated with change management/tracking systems.

Not the only product by any means, but one example is StarTeam. Combining the defect tracking (and in the newest versions, explicitly handling requirements as well, though in older versions you could always hack those in as CR's or tasks) with version control makes cranking out build notes just as easy to do as such a tedious task should be.

I realize big, integrated products don't fit into everybody's budget, but keep the advantages in mind should you ever be in a position to shop -- once you get used to being able to work like this, you really don't want to go back to having these two critical aspects of change management separate.

anonQAguy
Monday, May 19, 2003

"Attention CrAkZoRs: We are patching our driver since we discovered that this HUGE security hole in our driver leaves the installation wide open. Now you know as well as we do that 99% of our installed base will not pach before 3 months, 92% will not apply this patch for at least another year and the rest of them will not bother at all. Include an exploit in your next toolkit and let those kiddies have a field day"

"Hey boss, should  mention that this bogus patch will do nothing at all but render cracked keys useless?"

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, May 19, 2003

I don't think "fixes various security issues" is revealing too much.  But I don't think that that's what the thread is talking about anyway; most of us don't go looking for news drivers or BIOS patches because of security issues, but because the old driver/patch doesn't work, or at least doesn't work as well as it could.

Kyralessa
Monday, May 19, 2003

Just Me - Nice straw man you got there.

Troy King
Monday, May 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home