Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Longhorn

>>"The individual windows in Longhorn will be semi-translucent, making it possible to discern the contents of one window hidden behind another."

From - http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030518/tc_nm/column_pluggedin_dc_2 -

If you have ever played the MMORPG Everquest you know that the windows can be set to a transparent state and when the mouse is moved over the window is becomes opaque.  Does anyone like this?  I sure don't.  I think its annoying and turn it off all the time.

Anyway, Longhorn looks like a cool operating system that's borrowed much from other places.  (i.e. BEOS, Linux, even games).  It also appears to be a "monopolistic" venture.  How will Linux catch up to "Palladium".  Microsoft owns you.

Dave B.
Sunday, May 18, 2003

It'll be interesting to see the adoption rates between the population at large, corporations, hackers, and programmers.

Windows XP was controversial enough with it's "must contact the mothership" thing, Longhorn will have DRM built right in.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, May 18, 2003

Baking DRM into the OS isnt going to be a big deal at all. It'll just mean that there will be a market for DRM protected media.

Its not going to stop people ripping CDs, movies etc and distributing them in non-DRM formats. So unless MS is going to somehow lock out MP3 (and other formats) from Longhorn, I dont see anything to worry about.

Not Telling
Sunday, May 18, 2003

Translucent windows have been a feature in Windows since Windows 2000. 

And, sorry, but I'm not seeing any borrowed features from BeOS, Linux, or games.  Could you elaborate please?

Somebody
Sunday, May 18, 2003

I'm simply saying that I don't believe Longhorn is all original.  Not everything has been designed from the "ground up" so to speak.  And the feature set that it's adding has possibly borrowed from ideas and concepts that have existed in other software.  I mean you don't really believe that the guys at MS come up with everything original?  You don't think they borrowed some ideas from say, the BeOS file system, and incorporated them into their own? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.  I wonder what it's like to work at MS...  Their website shows some pretty nice looking campuses.

Dave B.
Sunday, May 18, 2003

"Ground Up" doesn't mean original, it means they re-examined certain basic assumptions. Or at least that's what they want you to mean... Perhaps they mean they Ground Up bits of other operating systems and threw them into the mix.. Like Ground Up Meat.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, May 19, 2003

'Windows XP was controversial enough with it's "must contact the mothership" thing, Longhorn will have DRM built right in.'

So if I put in a bootlegged copy of XP, what should happen?  Is there a way around reporting it.  Do they compare IP's and send out the SWAT team or what?

Brian R.
Thursday, May 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home